Bernie Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years in Prison

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dmac77, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So it has happened. They sentenced Bernie Madoff to 150 years in prison. I personally feel bad for the guy. He came forward and confessed to his crimes, which was the right thing to do. He could have forced the government to proceed with a costly trial, but instead he plead guilty, and probably dragged the trial out for a year or more, but yet he didn't. I do think that he should serve time in prison, I just think that they should let him out before he dies.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090629/ap_on_bi_ge/us_madoff_scandal

Don

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sentenced.

He was sentenced. ;)

And you feel bad for the guy after swindling all that money from innocent people because he had 10 minutes of morality and pled guilty?
    :rolleyes:

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Ridiculous sentence tbh. Here a murder sentence is 12 years, out in 6, how is this worse than murder :rolleyes:

And yet the banks who were stupid enough to fall for it get off scott free.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why? People go to prison for life for much lesser crimes, why should this guy be treated special just because he admitted something? Just because he admits he's a bad guy doesn't make him a good guy.

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

He seems to have ruined a lot of lives. Honestly, at 71 years old, 150 years is pretty ridiculous, however he commited the crime, he serves the time. No rhyme intended.

Just because you kill someone and confess doesn't mean your victim isn't dead.

I can also understand why the judge would want to send a message. He is being made an example of.

But never seeing the world a free man again, seeing as no one died? Thats a bit extreme.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Good riddance.

Actually 2 people committed suicide after losing their life savings. So technically someone did die.

7. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Thanks for that.

And it is partially because he had a few minutes of morality. But I don't think he should die in prison for the crime that he committed. If he was a rapist or a murder, then yeah I would have no problem with him dying in prison, but it's not as if he killed anyone. What he did was wrong, but not you should rot and die in prison wrong.

At the same time, I have no sympathy for anyone that lost money with him. Anyone with a brain should know that it's impossible to get the kind of returns that he was supposedly getting. If they really believed that he was able to generate those kind of returns, they deserved what they got for being complete and total idiots. That's just my opinion. I'm not saying that he's innocent, but I am saying that people should have a brain and think about whether or not something is possible or not. Also, I'm still dumbfounded that the government didn't catch him earlier, but that's the government for you.

Anyways, I personally hope that he appeals the sentence (can he do that even though he pleaded guilty?)

EDIT: @ iShater- It's not his fault that they committed suicide, that's their own fault.

Don

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No. No. No. He ruined many, many lives. Who cares if he didn't directly murder anyone? He was the direct cause for two suicides and the loss of MILLIONS in life savings.

9. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Well thats simply not fair. People who commit suicide have MANY issues before the one that "breaks the camel's back."

Its like saying a if a girl dumps a guy and in his sorrow he kills himself, she should be sentenced to 150 years in prison.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's nothing malicious or illegal about dumping someone, nor is that what he has been charged with. So that fact really isn't necessary.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, its not like that at all. His sentencing is for his crimes, not for the suicides, even though he is deffinatly responsible.

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Thats a very good point, but to insinuate that he in fact killed someone/ should be catagorized and recieve the same punishment as a murderer is a bit extreme. (not directed at you Jimmy)

NOTE: I am appauled at what he did. He deserves a long punishment. But to never see the world as a free man again for a crime in which no one was directly killed seems a little unfair to me.

Money is just paper in the long run. Life means a lot more. Then again, maybe Bernie should have thought of that.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

This isn't what he's being charged for....

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

To those who think this sentence is on the harsh side. I find your sympathy misplaced. He was charged and sentenced for each of the counts against him which added up to the time he will spend in prison now. Sure, he's "sorry", his moment of morality is disgusting. If he was truly sorry, let's see him give up all that money, oh wait, he refused to do that.. So by all means go ahead and feel sorry for the man. Don't even consider what he has actually done and that he's not sorry enough to return the money to the people he screwed...

He ranks right up there with a murderer or a thief who say he's "sorry" but as soon as they get the chance they will commit the crime again. And that murder who says he's "sorry" but I am not going to tell you where the body is...

People who take advantage of others make me sick. But I know Don, you have no sympathy for those people who get taken advantage of...

15. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

As has been said before, it's not his fault that they committed suicide. They had many issues before, and this was just the final straw. It's not his fault that they didn't seek help before it was to late.

As for the loss of savings, I'll once again say that anyone who believed that he, or for that matter, anyone, was able to get the returns that he was getting deserved what they got. I know that it sounds harsh, but it's the truth. You NEED to do research before you go and hand your life savings over to someone. I feel absolutely no sympathy for these people, especially these people that the media highlight (Oh we heard about him from a friend of a friend, and they said that they were making tons of money, so we just and gave him our money.") how is it anyones' fault besides your own, if you are stupid enough to not research the person that you are handing your life savings over to? I don't care that you thought he was the best because of his %250 annual returns. Do you see anyone else making those kind of returns? No you didn't, so what made Bernie Madoff so special, pixie dust?

And now the media is talking about this woman with Alzheimer's who had an account with Madoff, and now has nothing. I ask, who in the hell would let someone with Alzheimer's make major financial decisions?

My point. If you were stupid enough to fall for it, you deserved it.

Don

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

hes 71, and used to living in extreme luxury , i doubt hed survive a 12 year sentence in the stresses of jail. Hes ruined thousands of lives and destroyed several charity organizations. He'd spend the rest of his life in jail with almost any fair sentence.

17. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

It kind of seems that way though.
    I guess my point is that a murderer can get a 12 year sentence and be off in 6 with good behavior/ psycological evaluation.

But Bernie can't get off with a lesser sentence, when no one died.

But I guess its just him being made an example of, which the judge freely admits.

Thats just cruel. Everyone makes mistakes. If people didnt take advantage of others, these kinds of things wouldn't happen. Don't act like you've never fallen for a manipulative tactic before.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Whether or not someone dies is not a measure of how severe a crime is.....

19. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

And what in your opinion is fair? I personally think that the sentence should have been no more the 1 year. The man has had the majority of his assets taken away, christ, they even took his bed sheets, and he has lost every tiny bit of a reputation that took 50 years to build. I don't see a punishment that is much worse then that.

And you might say that he still has $2.5 million, but $2.5 million is almost nothing when you live in the upper east side, and after his legal fees, he's going to have absolutely nothing at all. Oh, and then he has to pay fines and fees. In other words, the man will have to declare bankruptcy, and he'll still be in debt after that, because you can't declare bankruptcy on fines imposed in criminal court. No one, and I repeat, no one should have to go through the shame and humiliation that Bernie Madoff has gone through, and still is going through.

EDIT: @ Unspoken Demise- I'm not saying that I have never fallen for a misleading tactic, but just because I did at a point in my life, doesn't mean that I went and cried to mommy. I realized that I should have realized that it was a lie, and that it was my own fault that I fell for it, because I was to stupid to realize what was going on. I still haven't fallen for something that's a complete and total lie since. I'll repeat that what he did was wrong, but if people wouldn't follow the leader like mindless drones and do something because "Barb and Dave said that he's gotten great returns..." a lot of people wouldn't be in this situation right now.

Don

20. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

What he did was wrong, but I don't like the thought of him rotting and dying in prison also. Then again, I wouldn't wish that on anyone besides murderers and rapists.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm sorry but I'm guessing you're just assuming. To lose your entire life savings with no way to regain it before you need it is probably all they needed to do themselves in. You're incredibly jaded if you believe these people needed to get help prior to being introduced to Madoff.

Holy crap you're kidding right? Do you even know what he did or what he promised to his "investors"?

No it sounds jaded and wrong.

Oh gosh, you have a lot to learn.

First, in my line of work I have seen people with Alzheimer's buy 5+ homes. So yeah, it happens. How? You need to think about it more.

Second, I think you're looking at this based on what you can drudge up on digg.com. You need to branch out and see that many people did research and this whole entire scheme appeared flawless at some point.

Third, your lack of sympathy for these folks who lost their money tells me that you've never wanted for anything because it's all come so easy to you. I find your displaced sympathy for Madoff and your deep discontent for the victims of his crime to be displaced.

I personally don't care where the guy dies. So long as he can't do this again.

22. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I see your point, but I disagree.
    True, all crimes are crimes and deserve an equal punishment.
    But I'm pretty sure
    Murder & Rape> Financial Manipulation.

Therefore they should deserve more of a punishment.

Then again, all 3 maybe should get the 150 year sentence and be done with it.

The Bernie case is cumulative. All the crimes together = 150 years, I get that, but I'm pretty sure all of those crimes< the taking of a human life.

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yet you have no sympathy for any of his victims? :rolleyes:

24. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

His ten minutes of morality was solely to protect his family who were working in his company but knew absolutely nothing whatsoever, no sir, about any of it, honest guv.

Morals? Don't make me laugh.

25. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The court wishes to enforce a sentence that will deter criminals 60 years before conception from the crime? Call it life. Call it 25 years. They are all the same at 70 years of age.