Bernie Sanders 'Stunned' by Large Crowd Turnout

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Spawned off from the Donald Trump for POTUS thread:

DON'T CARE as long as Bernie gets the democratic nomination
You'll like this, then.

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/06/15/414689799/bernie-sanders-stunned-by-large-crowds-showing-up-for-him

Bernie Sanders 'Stunned' By Large Crowds Showing Up For Him
June 15, 2015 5:37 PM ET
TAMARA KEITH

When Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders took the stage at Drake University in Des Moines Friday night, he got a standing ovation. The auditorium holds 700 people and it was packed, including the balcony.

The Democratic presidential candidate is doing something on the campaign trail even he didn't expect — drawing large crowds in Iowa, New Hampshire and beyond.

"If you were to ask me a couple of months ago whether we would have larger crowds than any other candidate out there, I would not have told you that that would be the case," he said recently.

In Keene, N.H. a thousand people showed up to see Sanders speak. They couldn't all fit in the room. Same thing happened in Minnesota — except the crowd was estimated at 5,000.

His reaction: "Stunned. Stunned. I mean I had to fight my way to get into the room. Standing room only. Minneapolis was literally beyond belief."

When Kurt Meyer helped host an event for Sanders in the small town of Kensett, Iowa, he was expecting 75 people. Maybe 125 tops.

"When we had something in excess of 300 people show up, I was astonished," Meyer said.

That's more than the town's entire population. Meyer, who is the tri-county Democratic Party chair, sent a text to one of Hillary Clinton's senior people in Iowa.

"My text was 'objects in their mirror may be closer than they appear.' I sensed there was something going on," he said.

There was an energy in the room, he said, that went beyond just the large numbers. Sanders takes this — we'll call it "Bernie-mentum" — as a sign his message is breaking through.

It's a message he delivered again on Sunday evening at a Democratic Party picnic 20 minutes outside of Des Moines. "The truth is there has been a massive redistribution of wealth in this country from the working families of America to the top 1/10 of one percent. And together you and I have got to turn that around," he said to applause.

Sanders has been delivering variations on this speech for decades — choosing statistics about income inequality over the heartwarming personal stories and soaring rhetoric used by most presidential candidates. He calls for expanding not cutting Social Security and a program for debt-free college.

John McBride, 24, who drove three hours to see Sanders, said college debt is a "huge deal" to him. "When I meet somebody, I ask them their name, where they went to school. Where they studied and how much debt they have."

McBride also like Sanders' independence. "At least speaking for myself and a lot of people that I know that are my age is that we're completely disillusioned," he said.

Sanders is tapping in to that disillusionment, giving off a speaking-truth-to-power, so-old-he's-hip kind of vibe. Attracting some of the same types of voters who have been drawn in the past to libertarian Republican Ron Paul and 2004 Democratic candidate Howard Dean. But to some observers like Des Moines-based Democratic strategist Norm Sterzenbach, the question is whether he'll be able to capitalize on it. "Will he put the team together that knows how to move those people from event attendees to volunteers, to precinct captains to caucus goers?" he asked.

Sanders has an event scheduled Saturday in Denver, and already more than 3,000 people have registered to attend.
I'll say this: on the non-Republican side: If she's up to it, the first person to get Warren as their running made could win it.

BL.

Reactions: jkcerda

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Sanders is another statist. He's better than Hillary, but still a statist (esp his views on our 2A rights).

Anyone that wants to increase the power of the behemoth is an enemy of the Constitution.

Reactions: thewap

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Sanders is another statist. He's better than Hillary, but still a statist (esp his views on our 2A rights).

Anyone that wants to increase the power of the behemoth is an enemy of the Constitution.
Did you vote for Bush in 2000 and 2004?

BL.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
I wasn't surprised that he got large crowds in New England where he's better known, but elsewhere...yeah. There seems to be a large contingent of Americans who have been thirsting for somebody who's a straight talker and not afraid to stand up for the 99%. Hillary is too establishment for many people to believe that she's a genuine liberal, but Sanders...he's the real deal.

Warren won't run, not even as VP. But if Hillary does win the nomination, I think it might not be a bad idea to have Bernie as her running mate.

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
did you vote for Obama?
Yes. I did. But tell me.. Did Obama expand government? NDAA didn't expand government. TARP? Wasn't his. Auto bailout? See Airline bailout in 2002-2003. PRISM? Started in 2007. Last expansion of government came from DHS, which came about in 2001-2002.

He doesn't get a pass for continuing those, but those expansions and increases of power came before Obama became POTUS.

BL.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Yes. I did. But tell me.. Did Obama expand government? NDAA didn't expand government. TARP? Wasn't his. Auto bailout? See Airline bailout in 2002-2003. PRISM? Started in 2007. Last expansion of government came from DHS, which came about in 2001-2002.

He doesn't get a pass for continuing those, but those expansions and increases of power came before Obama became POTUS.

BL.
http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/25/news/economy/obama_government/

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
None of those expanded government or gave government more power. Unemployment spending? that started immediately after .com blew up and 9/11.

"Entitlements" increased government's power? Explain that one.

Federal employees? 3 letters: TSA. Bush and Tom Ridge get the blame for that.

Regulations? Your own article stated that less were adopted by Obama than Bush.

And again, none of this increased the power of government. Perfect examples of increased power: warrantless wiretapping under FISA, creating an entire department under the executive branch, and the aforementioned PRISM.

BL.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
None of those expanded government or gave government more power. Unemployment spending? that started immediately after .com blew up and 9/11.

"Entitlements" increased government's power? Explain that one.

Federal employees? 3 letters: TSA. Bush and Tom Ridge get the blame for that.

Regulations? Your own article stated that less were adopted by Obama than Bush.

And again, none of this increased the power of government. Perfect examples of increased power: warrantless wiretapping under FISA, creating an entire department under the executive branch, and the aforementioned PRISM.

BL.

EDIT, while O sucks IMHO I would like to keep the focus on Bernie .I really hope he gets the nod.

Last edited:

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Sadly, Bernie is a sub-optimal messenger for a pretty good message.

...adding, there are enough checks and balances so that pro-2nd people needn't be too concerned. You can't just executive order away the 2nd.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom

"Statist" is just an evacuated term these days used by libertarians to describe "everybody else".

What particular policies do you disagree with? Why do you think those are bad?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Go get 'em, Bernie.

I'd love a Bernie -vs- Rand election. Either way, we win.
A real true blue 100% liberal non-establishment type wouldn't be a terrible thing, but the DNC elite would still have their claws in the mix with agenda, and partisanship.

Between the two I'd have more faith in Rand to tow the party line less.

Reactions: jkcerda

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
As much as I think Sanders has good ideas, he will not be able to get anything done if elected. The districts for the house are gerrymandered so there is no chance of it changing out of republican hands in the near future, so if we want anything done we need someone who can work with them. And that basically means a moderate white male. Sanders has the white male part down, but I think he is too far left for congress to work with him. Admittedly getting nothing done would be an improvement over what a lot of the Republicans want.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
As much as I think Sanders has good ideas, he will not be able to get anything done if elected. The districts for the house are gerrymandered so there is no chance of it changing out of republican hands in the near future, so if we want anything done we need someone who can work with them. And that basically means a moderate white male. Sanders has the white male part down, but I think he is too far left for congress to work with him. Admittedly getting nothing done would be an improvement over what a lot of the Republicans want.
I'll take nothing getting done VS the stupidity we get when both crap houses compromise

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I hate his views on the 2nd, but he is better IMHO than any of the rest currently running. got mixed feelings on Rand Paul.
I think his stance on the 2nd is mixed. What makes you think otherwise?

Sanders is a very interesting candidate. Compared to the other puppets he is a breath of fresh air.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Vermont is hardcore pro-2nd Amendment. The NRA gave Howard Dean a consistent A+ rating when he was governor. Not sure what Bernie's stance is, but it can't be too anti-2nd.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
He's running for President, not Miss America. These comments about his appearance make you sound like catty teenyboppers.