Besides Fish & Chips what's does the British Economy Consist of?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_United_Kingdom

As for never seeing anything Made In Britain where you are we export virtually all of our manufactured goods to the EU and Far East (for the heavy industry stuff). In the USA you're more likely to find luxury items such as scotch whisky, designer clothes, Aston Martin cars and the like. Saying that, the vast majority of our economy is services-based.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I have a 9 yard tartan that was made in Scotland. Technically, Scotland is part of Britain.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
link
British Exports to U.S.
Of the $53.4 billion in American imports from Britain in 2006, the following product categories had the highest values.

Medicinal, dental & pharmaceutical preparations …US$8.2 billion (15.3% of Britain to U.S. exports, up 41.8% from 2005)
New & used passenger cars … $5 billion (9.3%, down 12.5%)
Other petroleum products … $3.6 billion (6.8%, up 22.7%)
Crude oil … $2.9 billion (5.5%, down 37.2%)
Civilian aircraft engines … $2.3 billion (4.4%, up 18%)
Goods returned to U.S. then reimported … $2.1 billion (4%, down 0.9%)
Collectibles (e.g. artwork, antiques, stamps) … $1.6 billion (2.9%, up 13.2%)
Materials handling equipment … $1.24 billion (2.3%, up 36.1%)
Precious metals other than gold … $1.237 billion (2.3%, up 36.1%)
Alcoholic beverages other than wine … $1.2 billion (2.2%, up 11.8%)
Fastest-Growing British Exports to U.S.

Below are American imports from Britain in 2006 with the highest percentage sales increases from 2005.
Non-monetary gold … US$37.3 million (up 4,073% from 2005)
Civilian aircraft (complete) … $55.9 million (up 739%)
Tin … $15.3 million (up 353%)
Newsprint … $12.4 million (up 193%)
Miscellaneous (e.g. hair, waste materials) … $38.7 million (up 130%)
Some good music too! :)

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Y'all never seen a Shakespeare play, read an Agatha Christie mystery, watched the BBC?
I hope you weren't offended. As far as I know it was an honest question (though I could be wrong). For the record, I love the BBC. I particularly like Keeping Up Appearances, The Mighty Boosh, The Office, and Are You Being Served? ... just to name a few.

Great stuff to come out of the UK, including some great friendships. :)

p.s. Most of us never say y'all.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I hope you weren't offended. As far as I know it was an honest question (though I could be wrong). For the record, I love the BBC. I particularly like Keeping Up Appearances, The Mighty Boosh, The Office, and Are You Being Served? ... just to name a few.

Yeah it is an honest question and thanks for everyone's replies. I didn't know all of this.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I have a 9 yard tartan that was made in Scotland. Technically, Scotland is part of Britain.
You don't need the Technically part, theres nothing pedantic about it.

You don't see much Made In Britain, because we don't make anything in Britain. Our economy is services based. Mainly because we pay our workers a high minimum wage, plus a high level of taxation, meaning we can't manufacture anything as cheaply as China. And we have no land to grow anything.

But hey, if you want an unreliable car or a damn fine glass of whisky, we're your men :)

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn

I was born and raised in the US and live about 90 miles north of where you do and have only been to England twice. The guy in my avatar (my gr gr grandfather was born in Penryn). So, Frisco isn't offending me personally.

Frisco's been around here a little longer than I have and my guess based on his history here is that he's just winding the brits up.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Ever heard of ARM processors? yep... British..., Harry Potter? Lord of the Rings? Shakespeare? We have quite a healthy movie business, even if all of it is funded by Hollywood (e.g. a lot of Batman Begins was filmed in London film studios).

Symbian was also PSION (A British Company) before Nokia bought it and spun it off as a open source house.

the worlds largest banks are based here (though that's debatable now :p) e.g. Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds etc.

Edit: Oh the monarchy... seriously without them why would people come visit our islands?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Blimey, that's almost ugly enough to be an American car. :eek:
It's basically aimed at the American market. These days RRs are pretty much just expensive BMWs anyway.

It should also be noted that Rolls-Royce Motors and Rolls-Royce plc (who make the aircraft engines as well as submarines and the like) are completely separate companies.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'd have to add that Great Britain has brought MacRumors some damn fine members.