Best 24" Monitor to Buy around $250

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryanbutterworth, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ryanbutterworth macrumors newbie

ryanbutterworth

:confused:Need some help here.

I'm a motion graphics designer. I work in Cinema 4D and After Effects / Photoshop.

I have two Apple 20" Cinema Displays at work and I have an iMac at home. I've never had to buy a monitor myself. I'm buying a Mac Pro this week and I need to get monitors. I'll be getting 2 of them. My budget is around $250 for one. Can go a little higher if need be.

I've heard there are only a couple LCD manufacturers in the world and everybody buys panels from them, so the only difference is the frame, and whatever image processing chips are included. Is this true?

I'd like to stay with a popular brand, Dell, Samsung, LG. I have read some reviews on Samsung monitors that have power issues (bad capacitors). My grandma purchased a Dell monitor that died after a couple years. But I have heard good things about dells. Honestly, I'm not that familiar with displays so I'm a little lost. I do not want any built in speakers and the smaller the bezel, the better. Are companies different with regards to dead pixels?

Any advice is appreciated. I need to purchase in the next week or so.

2. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

Dell is always good they have a deal on a 24 inch right now, Hp is good as well 23inch or 25inch

3. CW Jones macrumors 6502

I wouldn't recommend any of those. Not a single one posted is an IPS monitor. Grapic design, photography, video... all professions you would want to have IPS for.

4. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

5. ryanbutterworth thread starter macrumors newbie

ryanbutterworth

But does anyone have an IPS display that fits into my budget? My cinema displays at work are not IPS, but they look decent and have lasted a long time.

6. ryanbutterworth thread starter macrumors newbie

ryanbutterworth

Thanks for the recommendations so far. This HP (HP ZR22w) fits the budget, but is a smaller IPS monitor and better investment than a larger non-IPS monitor?

7. Vylen macrumors 65816

Dell U2311H

23" IPS... bigger than the HP but one smaller than what you want :p

8. CW Jones macrumors 6502

One of the best bang for the buck monitors. I would defiantly invest a few more dollars per monitor to be able to have IPS.

9. ryanbutterworth thread starter macrumors newbie

ryanbutterworth

Your Mac Pro setup is exactly what I'm looking at. How do you like the dell monitors with it?

10. CW Jones macrumors 6502

I would go for a little smaller IPS rather than a larger tn monitor. For me its the viewing angles, and color shift that kills the tn or non-IPS monitors. I currently have an old crappy LG 19" tn monitor. I am looking into getting something that is IPS because I do photography and graphic design. IMO spend a little more for a nice IPS, that's just me tho!

11. Vylen macrumors 65816

They are most excellent and really like them - white is actually white ;) Text is nice and crisp - important since I'm a programmer... Photos from my DSLR are also very nice - although I've yet to compare a print to the screen yet... got nothing worth printing right now ;)

It's also nice that they have USB ports... let me get rid of my other usb hubs and reduce clutter.

12. efegea macrumors newbie

I've been here reading the forums without registering for a few months, but now I have created an account just for giving you advice.

I recommend you some NEC monitor, they are very high quality. I own a NEC MultiSync EA231WMi. It's a 23" E-IPS 1920x1080 16:9, with displayport, DVI and VGA. I paid 300 euros for it some months ago. Picture quality is impresive. I have it calibrated with an eyeone2 and it looks even better. It has an incredible price/quality ratio. 100% recommended.