Best 256 SSD for $600? Also can New MBP give life to my 2007 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soooren, Mar 4, 2011.

  1. soooren macrumors newbie

    Mar 2, 2011
    Okay this is what i got:

    17" mbp (2007)
    Core2Duo 2.33Ghz
    2 GB ram
    160 gb hdd

    This is what im going to buy:
    15" mbp
    QuadCore 2.2Ghz
    4 gb ram
    128 gb ssd

    Now I have some questions:
    · I want to upgrade the ram in the new machine - are these the best on the market? (only concerning speed)

    · Can I take the unused 4gb ram from the new 15" and put it in the old 2007 17" model? If i cant, could i put them in a 13" mbp late 2010 model?

    · I also want to upgrade the SSD to the fastest 200-256 GB SSD model on the market (price range $500-700) which one is it? - this article states it is the Crucial RealSSD C300 6Gb/s 256G SSD, but they dont recommend buying it, instead they recommend OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 240G SSD, but I cant seem to find it in any European stores (to avoid 25% danish customs fee) - anyone got a link?

    · I also hear people talking about new SSDs coming out soon that are going to be a lot faster, im going to order my macbook in 10 days, should i wait for the newer SSDs?

    · Can I then take the 128 GB apple ssd and put it into the old 2007 17" model?

    Thanks, my ladyfriend wants to inherit the 2007 model so I wanted to make it as fast as possible for her (with the ram and ssd) - she uses photoshop and indesign a lot, but dosnt take too much space, though she does a lot of everyday tasking therefore the 128gb ssd went to my mind.
  2. RiSq macrumors newbie

    Jun 28, 2010
    The RAM won't fit in neither the 07 or late 10 MBP's sadly.

    As for SSD, I'm looking at this as we speak. I'm personally drawn to the Crucial or the OCZ drives, having read a lot of horror stories or reliability with the Intel ones. You're best sticking to an SSD with a Sandforce controller.

    The new SATA III drives are fast, believe around the 500mbs/550mbs Write/Read speeds, so if you have the cash and can wait, try too. Tech is always a balancing act though. For instance, I've just brought a 13" late 2010 MBP for only £650! Gonna see how I get on with it, but I should make that back, if not a profit if I get on with it and sell it in the next month or so for the 11 15" MBP.
  3. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

    Oct 15, 2002
    According to most reports, the C300 should be avoided. You basically have three options:

    1) get one of the currently available SATA-II SSDs. Advantages: drives like the OWC you mentioned are tried and tested and perform very well. Disadvantage: they don't take advantage of the new MBP's SATA-III speeds.

    2) get one of the currently available SATA-3 SSDs. There's the C300, then the Corsair p3 series, and the intel 510. While these drives will utilize the new MBP's SATA-3 speeds, they have their own share of problems. The C300 should probably be avoided due to firmware issues. The 510 and the p3 perform well, but not as fast as upcoming Sandforce-based drives like the Vertex 3. They also command a premium price because they're very new. Furthermore, no one has really tested them in the new MBPs yet; we simply don't know if there are any issues.

    3) wait for the blazingly fast new Sandforce-drives like the aforementioned Vertex 3. It's a matter of a few days or maybe weeks. While these drives will definitely be the performance kings, it's not entirely clear how reliable and rugged they will be. Generally, I'd avoid OZC, because they have high failure rates as well as a history of lying to their customers. I haven't really seen any promising Sandforce-announcements apart from their Vertex 3 though. Still, OWC might release new Sandforce-based drives too, and they're generally a trustworthy brand, at least as far as I know.

Share This Page