Best 2560 x 1440 monitor options

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dpavid, Apr 26, 2014.

1. dpavid macrumors regular

Planning in running dual or triple 2560 x 1440 monitors on a nMP for D700s.

Buyer's guide suggest NOT buying the Apple Thunderbolt Display. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Displays Price is a bit steep too for triple monitors.

I know the Dell models are popular.

This one is rated pretty well and for the price point, I'd consider it any day.
    ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch WQHD LED-lit PLS Professional Graphics Monitor

Looking for suggestions as a video editor. What other models and brands should I consider?

Also, what's the ideal cable to do this setup? MiniDisplay Port from nMP to DVI or DisplayPort? Need to make sure I have the right cables.

2. kyriostrife macrumors member

You need the dual-link dvi cable to go from the nMP to the monitor. From there it all depends on your monitor output if you chain.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Depends on budget, but NEC and Eizo are the best out there. Spectraview Reference 272 or CG277 would get my vote. Both run at 2560 x 1440.

4. smellalot macrumors 6502

AFAIK that's simply wrong. The Asus monitor has a DisplayPort. So the best, cheapest and easiest is a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from the nMP to each monitor.

The Dell U2713H has two DisplayPort 1.2 ports. So it should be possible to daisy chain two of those off of one Thunderbolt port.

5. pscl macrumors 6502

hi there

i got the same descision to make, but i want to use one of the two displays (Asus vs. Dell) on my rMBP 2013.

there is only a slight difference inbetween both models... the Asus is a little faster than the dell, but the dell has the better factory-calibration and USB 3.0.

i think both are great displays. here in germany the price difference is not as much as in the us i think...

personally i think i go for the asus.

6. CH12671 macrumors 6502

What?

On the ASUS monitor referenced, you have the DV option...so just go miniDV to DV (cheap cable at monoprice) and you are done. It will easily carry the 1440P signal. You don't need the active adapter if your monitors have some sort of DV or MDV input.

If you want to daisy chain, and get data in the chain, you will need TB monitors...which limits you basically to the ATD, or LG has a new 34 inch 21:9 monitor that is really nice...and has TB input/output

7. smellalot macrumors 6502

This is wrong. You can daisy chain DisplayPort monitors.

8. dpavid thread starter macrumors regular

Wait.. Really? So from my nMP to one monitor and then to the 2nd and to the 3rd? Any performance drawbacks rather than connecting one monitor each to a TB port on the nMP?

9. smellalot macrumors 6502

Sure, daisy chaining is part of DP version 1.2. Just google that. I don't know the number of monitors you can drive but two should be possible. Although only with TB2 because TB1 doesn't support DP1.2.

I have not done this myself but I thought you should know so you can gather more information yourself. Also I think your nMP has six Thunderbolt ports?! So daisy chaining might not even be feasible for you, depending on the number of other peripherals you have.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not on a Mac, at least as of 10.9.2

11. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Vp2770

I read a lot of reviews, debated and debated, then went with the Viewsonic VP2770. It has a very nice picture. I wanted something 16:10, I tried the Dell 30in U3014, bought it from Amazon warehouse, display was awful had to send back. I'd rather have something bigger but if you plan to have 3 this Viewsonic is a good deal. Still sorta wish I had a 30" though.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

13. kyriostrife macrumors member

What is DV? I only see displayport on that monitor.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I think he meant DVI?

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

He meant DP

16. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Great link

Wow what a great link thanks for posting! Anyone ever try one of these?
    Auria
    EQ276WN 27" LED Monitor