Best 65" TV for £900?

SmackBookPro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Looking for a TV 65" or more for £900 ($1,150 USD). I can see a good one by TCL but would similar offerings by Sony / Samsung / LG be preferable?

Let me know what you'd go for and why as there's so many options. This is to pair with an Apple TV 4K.

There's too many to compare!

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
A far far better idea IMO would be to go for a 55" and add a little more money for the simple reason that the LG B8 OLED 55 is currently £1299 at John Lewis and Richer Sounds. The c8 is £1499.
Whilst it's open for debate, quite frankly, these are the absolute best TVs on the market. They are truly perfect for the Apple TV 4K as they offer Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos and my word, that OLED screen is simply stunning.
Once you've seen OLED, you won't want LCD.
In our home, we have the B7 and oh my, on the weekly film night, the picture is just out of this world.

In our house, we use Apple TV for everything, and having a TV with Dolby Vision just made perfect sense for our iTunes films purchases and rentals.
Even though i'm not a TV person in any way what so ever, I'm happy to enjoy the weekly movie on it :) :) :)

keeper

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
I went for this one at 49 inch which has a great picture with the 4K ATV.
https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-49sk8100pla-led-hdr-super-uhd-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-49-inch-with-freeview-play-freesat-hd-cinema-screen-design-dolby-atmos-crescent-stand-ultra-hd-certified-silver/p3501318

They also do it in a 65, I didn’t want to take the risk on OLED and in my case it was £600 V £1299 for the OLED.
The OLED look good but I wouldn’t say it was twice the price good, I think LED is good enough and in a few years OLED will come down in price and I’ll look at it again and see how many screen issues are being reported.

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
I have a 4k Sony 55" in my living room and it is a great picture and I am happy with the purchase. I have watched some 4k content on it and it is absolutely stunning how sharp everything is. I also have a 150" projector in a game room area which runs at 720p.

The game room with the projector is a converted garage with only a window A/C unit and space heater while the living room has a more comfortable couch and is much cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

The 4k TV is a better picture in every single way, but if my sports team is playing you will find me sitting on the less comfortable couch in a less comfortable room watching a vastly inferior picture for one very important reason, size matters.

Please don't misunderstand me, an OLED TV is absolutely stunning and if it is within your budget to do so, go for one. However, I think 4k has become common enough on TVs that the price has gone down considerably, but there is a still a premium placed on the OLED displays so you typically have to give up size in order to get an OLED on a budget. And in my opinion 49" is better than 42", but 55" is better than "49, and 65" is better than 55" etc.

As far as the specific options you mentioned, I have a friend who has a 55" TCL very similar to my Sony and his picture quality is not as good as mine. I haven't seen anything from LG recently that wasn't a OLED or a computer monitor so I can't comment on those, but both Sony and Samsung will definitely be a better picture than the TCL assuming the price is similar. I have personally noticed that is especially true with sports or fast action movies as the refresh rates are better on the Sony particularly.

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Looking for a TV 65" or more for £900 ($1,150 USD). I can see a good one by TCL but would similar offerings by Sony / Samsung / LG be preferable?

Let me know what you'd go for and why as there's so many options. This is to pair with an Apple TV 4K.

There's too many to compare!
Something like this for a bit less than $600US.
https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-Ultra-2160p-3840x2160-Metal/dp/B01N10VUY1/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543520889&sr=1-1&keywords=spectre+tv&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:1232883011

I purchased a couple of Spectre 75" 4k for a little under $900US each several months ago, but do not see them currently available on Amazon. Newegg has the 75" but they currently are a bit over $1000US.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA47J7G54884&Description=spectre tv&cm_re=spectre_tv-_-9SIA47J7G54884-_-Product