Best 7200 RPM drive for MBP? Also a few other HDD questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoneWolf121188, Oct 11, 2008.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to upgrade the HDD in my MBP...it looks like the biggest drives at 7200 RPM top out at 320GB? Newegg has two in stock, the Seagate Momentus 7200.3 and the WD Scorpio Black. Both are the same price, but it looks like the latency on the Seagate is a little lower. Any recommendations?

Also, how do I go about migrating the contents of my current HDD to my new one? I have a Time Machine backup of my OS X partition on my external, but I need to transfer my Vista partition over too. Can I do this seamlessly (ie, without reinstalling anything)?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They are both good. I've used a lot of WD Scorpio drives, but for desktops my favorite is Seagate.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I have the Seagate. Cloning is in progress as I type this. Used Superduper for the OS X partition and Winclone for the Vista partition. Depending on the size of your existing drive, the migration can take hours. 116GB OS X took mine 8+ hours to the new drive in an eSATA enclosure (because I was cloning live). Creating the 66GB Vista image took 90 minutes but the restore to the new drive is only 3% complete after 45 minutes.

Good luck!

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Apparently Seagate is bringing out a 7200rpm 500gig drive early next year. It was announced along with the 1.5TB drives.

5. LeoFio macrumors regular

I just bought the Seagate Momentus 7200.3 320 GB for my ThinkPad and love it. It is actually quieter than the 5400RPM HD it replaced.
    I chose it over the WD due to the lower latency and seek times. Also, Seagate has perpendicular recording, not sure about the WD though.

6. Peabody macrumors regular

not so technical a post, but I am quite happy with the WD Scorpio I just put in this week. Quicker than the stock 5400 and not excessively noisy, hot, etc...

7. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, thanks, that's what I was looking to hear. Linky.