Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Just wondering what Extensions people are using for AdBlocking while using Safari?

I am currently using AdBlock but I also know there are others like AdBlock Plus.

I was using µBlock when I was on Mavericks with Google Chrome but love the new Safari in Yosemite so don't want to install Chrome too and µBlock isn't available for Safari as far as I know.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
They all kind of suck for Safari because they can't block pre roll video ads. Arguably the most annoying kind of ads, so that is a pretty fatal flaw in all of them.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
They all kind of suck for Safari because they can't block pre roll video ads. Arguably the most annoying kind of ads, so that is a pretty fatal flaw in all of them.

this is the only thing that stops me from using Safari

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
It is not an extension per se, I use a software firewall. Safari is whitelisted, in that it has a (short) list of sites it is allowed to contact. I do not see many ads this way. Yes, it can be a pain to manage, and some things break. It is all a matter of priorities :)

A.

MacSumo

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
You could potentially also use the OSX's equivalent of a Windows hosts/Linux iptables file and block the IPs and domains of known ads.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Me too. I like the new Safari but I'm stuck with Firefox until Apple decides to allow more access to Safari's API.

I could easily enjoy the internet ads but the video ads on youtube etc, that is just life wasting and pisses me off so much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.