Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
I currently have an iPhone 8. I've got a new iPhone 13 mini coming today. How do I make sure I set up it without bringing any quirks or bugs from my iPhone 8 to the new one? I seem to remember there are better and worse ways to do this. I want all my data/info from the old phone, of course, but want to make it as 'clean' as possible.

Thanks!

jcp007

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
Back up your current iPhone 8 to iCloud.
Make sure that you are running iOS 15.0.2 on your iPhone 8.

The YouTube video below.

All I had to do was reset the default browser.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
Really? Isn't there a safer way to try to ensure no bugs transfer over?
I did a iPhone to iPhone transfer from my iPhone 6S Plus to my 13 Pro Max. No issues resulting from the transfer. I also backed up to my computer before I did the transfer just to be safe.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
I did a iPhone to iPhone transfer from my iPhone 6S Plus to my 13 Pro Max. No issues resulting from the transfer. I also backed up to my computer before I did the transfer just to be safe.
Did you have issues with your previous phone that you wanted to avoid bringing to your new one?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
Did you have issues with your previous phone that you wanted to avoid bringing to your new one?
No. When the transfer was compete, the 13 Pro Max was all setup the way my 6S+ was and all I had to do was use it. Just make sure you backup the iPhone 8 before you do the transfer. You can backup to iCloud or to a computer.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
Setting up an iPhone virgin factory new then copying all your data back over (after copying it to another device) takes forever- like days and days to get everything back to where it was. Not recommended except for a last ditch attempt to try to fix a wonky iPhone

Reactions: Bethanie21

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
Back up your current iPhone 8 to iCloud.
Make sure that you are running iOS 15.0.2 on your iPhone 8.

The YouTube video below.

All I had to do was reset the default browser.
You don't need to update iOS 15.0.2 on the iPhone 8. When I setup my iPhone 13 Pro Max, my iPhone 6S+ was using iOS 14.8. I did not need to update the iPhone 6S+ to iOS 15.0, I left it as it was with iOS 14.8. Everything transferred over just fine.

Reactions: jcp007

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I use itune on my pc to backup my old 12 PM before trading it. When I got my my 13 PM, I just use itune to restore all my apps/setting/pictures/music to the 13 PM. My 13 PM was up and running in less than 30 minutes. The transfer was fast, but the downloading took a while. I had about almost 60GB of apps and games to download.

Reactions: rugmankc

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
I use itune on my pc to backup my old 12 PM before trading it. When I got my my 13 PM, I just use itune to restore all my apps/setting/pictures/music to the 13 PM. My 13 PM was up and running in less than 30 minutes. The transfer was fast, but the downloading took a while. I had about almost 60GB of apps and games to download.
Is this better or safer than doing the new side-by-side method?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have everything backed up to iCloud but with a new device I just log into my AppleID and let it sync. Then I start download apps from scratch. Just to get a fresh start.

Reactions: smoking monkey

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
Is this better or safer than doing the new side-by-side method?

You are a little obsessed my friend; side by side works like a charm. Never had any problem, 20/30 minutes and the new phone is exactly as the old one, apps, photos, setup, everything.

The only app that needed (in my case) a new verification was Bitstamp (a bitcoin app). It asked for new identification once it was transfered to the new phone.

Reactions: Bethanie21

bushman4

macrumors 68040
Mar 22, 2011
Quick Stsrt. Is great for transferring a complete copy of one iPhone to another just put the old one next to the
New one
iCloud backup is also good

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
You are a little obsessed my friend; side by side works like a charm.
Have you ever had bugs/glitches from one phone travel to a new one, and then been advised by Apple Genius types there is a safe way to set up a new phone and a less safe way? I have in past years. Hence my concern this time around.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
It's faster. The safest way is to do a brand new install.
What does a brand new install entail exactly? I'm less concerned about time than about making sure I get it done the best way possible.

MrMojo1

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
New England
It really depends.
Upgraded from 8 Plus to 13 Pro.
First, used the wifi transfer set up but.. some of the settings and apps did Not transfer properly!
For example... the Fitness app lost over a year's worth of accumulated award badges and some app settings were messed up.
Did a clean iCloud backup with the latest backup from the 8 Plus.
Reset the 13 Pro as a New iPhone set up.
Then restored from iCloud.
Had issues with the the restore on the 1st attempt.
Tried again on the second attempt and it was successful!
All the settings and apps on the 13 Pro mirrored the 8 Plus including the Fitness app as the award badges were retained.
Cleaned out any old apps that I didn't use much and rechecked all the settings so the 13 Pro worked as it should for my liking.

IMHO, a clean install then restore from iCloud is the better approach to set up a new iPhone from the older iPhone.
Good luck!

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
What does a brand new install entail exactly? I'm less concerned about time than about making sure I get it done the best way possible.
It means you only sign into your phone and don't let it restore it to the previous save. You pretty much get a default iphone as it was meant to be from the factory with the default apps. You'll have to manually re-download your old apps over again.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I backed up to make sure but I used the side to side method and it worked great - seems to be better than the other methods I've used before

skoo9382

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
to each their own. My wife's transfer from her XS to 13 side-by-side method went smoothly. Mine on the other hand did not nor my brother-in-law's. Not sure what the problem was, but both mine and my bro-in-law's would not get through the whole transfer without getting some sort of error code (6573) or even it saying there's not enough room for the transfer. Ended up backing up the phone to a PC and then restoring the new phone to the back up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.