best app to edit (eg. add signature) to pdf docs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by malch, Dec 21, 2010.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    I just used Adobe Acrobat Pro, and added a 'digital signature', but really, I just want to drag and drop (or copy and paste) a scanned signature I have handy.
    I couldn't see how to do this in Acrobat. Is there a good little app that will make this easy for me?
    thanks,
    malch

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Is there any reason why you can't edit the original document, rather than the PDF? Acrobat isn't well suited to object editing at all.

3. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi there, and thanks for the reply.
    The pdf in question is a contract sent to me by a prospective employer, so I have no access to the original. In the past, once (and I don't remember how I did it) I copied my signature, and pasted it into (or onto) a pdf... at least I think I did. I'd like to be able to do this again if possible.
    regards, malch

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on how the PDF is created. Acrobat allows the creation of PDF forms, which the recipient can fill out. Some will allow digital signatures, as well.
    Try Adobe Reader. If that doesn't work, the PDF is likely not created with the ability to insert a signature.

5. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

If you have a full version of Acrobat (if they still call it that) and the PDF allows it, you can add a digital signature in. However, the full version of Acrobat is several hundred dollars.

I'm looking for an alternative to that as well. One option might be to open the PDF in Preview, save it as a tif,gif,etc. and add your signature picture in there. I have not tried that personally though.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the document creator allowed digital signatures, you don't need full Acrobat to sign the document. The free Adobe Reader will do that.

7. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

If you have Photoshop, then you can use that. Otherwise, PDFpen is a good tool for editing PDFs. Also, I'm sure you could use any image editing program, such as Gimp (it's free) to overlay a picture of your signature onto the PDF.

8. MisterMe, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In Adobe Acrobat Pro parlance, this is called a stamp. You may import your scanned signature into Acrobat Pro and save it as a stamp. You may also import your scanned signature to create a digital signature. The difference is that a digital signature protects the PDF after you sign it. The protected PDF cannot be altered after it is signed. If you stamp your signature, then you create an unprotected PDF with a picture of your signature in it. The unprotected PDF can be altered after you stamp it.

9. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

What about Automator?

Attached Files:

10. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you for all your suggestions, people. I'll check them out.
    Good point about the stamp vs. the dig. signature; the latter sounds safer for something like this.
    Regards,
    malch

11. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

12. juliainor macrumors member

13. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

I, too, have been looking for an app. like this.

Has anyone used FormMate? It seems like it could do the job, and costs much less than PDFPen.

I could probably even live with the watermarks on the free version.

14. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

i finally just sucked it up and bought PDFPen. Works well and is way cheaper than the full Acrobat license from Adobe I used to have with my Windows machine.