Best apps to do a System Health checkup? Drives, OS cleaning, all that?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean Dempsey, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I want to give my machine a checkup. It's a Mac Pro 1,1 I bought in June of 2007, and it's been running strong since. Upgraded to Leopard, then to Snow Leopard, have never wiped the system drive.

It has 4 internal drives which all hold different things, and 3 external FW800 drives for backsups. the OS is a 60gb Mercury SSD from OWC.

What can I do to give my system a real checkup and cleaning, make sure the drives are good, make sure my system is good, all that?

Is Onyx still the way to go? Repair permissions and verify disk? Any other things I can do, scan the RAM maybe for bad sectors?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's very little you need to do. While your drives may be cluttered with stuff you don't need, that won't affect system performance. Mac OS X manages itself quite well, without requiring user involvement. If you're having a particular issue, it might be appropriate to repair permissions, but it's usually not required. Also, while a disk can have a bad sector, that doesn't apply to RAM. RAM doesn't have sectors. In almost 3 years, I've never had to repair permissions or do any other maintenance, and my Mac runs like it did when I first took it out of the box. I couldn't say that for Windows systems I've had over the years.

Maintenance in OS X - is it necessary?
    Mac maintenance - what to do daily/weekly/monthly?
    Mac monthly maintenance?

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

As GGJstudios said, its really not necessary, but to answer your question.. Yes, Onyx would do the trick