Best Bang For My Buck Monitor for Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macuser1997, Jan 6, 2009.

1. macuser1997 macrumors member

What recommendations do you have for ~24" PVA and IPS displays for me to use with my unibody Macbook? Right now I'm leaning towards the Dell 2408WFP, since I used to have a 2407WFP that I loved.

What are some competing monitors I should consider?

Of course an Apple LED Cinema Display would be great, but I would rather have a matte display and the price is more than I would like to pay. The older 23" version is great, so if you know of any places with that available at a nice price that would be nice.

Thanks.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The Macbook Unibody has the new 'mini display port' not a display port which is older technology, so make sure you get the right mini display port to dvi adaptor:

Port:

[​IMG]

Adaptor:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MjE0NTE2Ng

Also i would recommend looking around the Apple Online Refurbished Store for a refurbished 23" screen, as they will be really good value, come with 1 year Apple waranty, and have no dead pixels. (which by the way is really annoying!!)

3. macuser1997 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up. So is the LED Cinema Display the only monitor that can be used with new Apple laptops without using an adapter?

4. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Pretty much... but I wouldn't get an Apple monitor. Much too expensive all things considered. Have you looked at Dell's UltraSharp line? Very good monitors and a lot less expensive. Get an adapter and you're good to go. Hell, if you don't need professional level color reproduction just go to newegg and search for a monitor to your styling with a lot of good reviews.

Addition: If I were buying an external I'd strongly consider this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009145

5. macuser1997 thread starter macrumors member

I used to have that Acer and didn't think it was bright enough, and the colors seemed kinda off. So yeah, I guess I'll probably end up with something in the Ultrasharp line. But I would like to know about comparable monitors.

6. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I bought the BenQ 24" G2400WD from Newegg for $279 (free shipping) during the special Black Friday sale. A great monitor by an excellent, reputable company. I have yet to see a 24" monitor with equal quality and price available since.

7. Moriarty macrumors 6502

The Hewlett Packard LP2475w is pretty much the cheapest 24-inch IPS (specs say S-IPS, but apparently it is H-IPS) panel out there ($650).

With all the good stuff the ACD doesn't have. Matte screen if you prefer it, height adjustment, HDMI, component, DVI, SPDIF-out for audio when you are feeding it an HDMI signal...

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't bought a new monitor in years but when I last checked the Dell Ultrasharp (last I had was a 2007wfp) was amazing quality for the price. Don't know if they've changed much over the years though.