Best battery to buy for Nov 2006 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lycanthrope, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

Hi Folks

My 3-year old needs a new battery, it only has about 40 minutes after a full charge, 40% health. I've tried all the recalibration and resets to no avail. 301 charge cycles now, but it has been duff since 230. I tried to get a replacement under warranty from Apple, but they didn't want to play.

What's the general consensus regarding replacement? I've seen a lot of 3rd party batteries in the €60 range compared to the Apple price €140.

Am I best to stick with the Apple model or are they all essentially the same? Could it be that the other brands are better seeing that the Apple batteries don't always seems so fantastic??

Thanks for your thoughts

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

With an Apple battery at least you have a chance of getting service if that one goes bad as well.

3. Lycanthrope thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

You have a point, but seems to me that Apple are reluctant to do much about bad batteries. Maybe in the US it's better.

So I could for instance buy two other brands for the same price or less.

Which would bring me back to the question, is one *better* than the other?

4. supercooled macrumors 6502a

This is the route I would take. There are a few reputable name brands around on eBay but if you want absolute assurance of compatibility and still save a few bucks, go with Macsales.com and their nuPower brand.

Mine died only after a year and doesn't even get recognized in the operating system so you're better off than I am. If I wasn't looking into selling it, I might replace the battery.

5. Lycanthrope thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

Cheers, I didn't realise that OWC sold batteries too - I got memory from them in the past and have been very pleased with it.

Only problemis that I'm across the pond :eek:

6. mac.by.jake macrumors member

Did you get a battery from OWC? If so, how was your experience?