Best bluetooth headphones for watching itunes movies on mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by northcountryboy, Dec 12, 2014.

1. northcountryboy macrumors member

Any recommendations? I often stay up late but have to watch a film with the sound turned really low so I don't wake the whole house. I'm looking at buying some bluetooth headphones to solve that problem and wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I would also be looking to use them for my PS4 for games as well

2. McGiord, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  3. northcountryboy thread starter macrumors member

Any other choices. I'm not a massive fan of Bose

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

6. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

7. campyguy macrumors 68030

A few of these are better for listening to a TV. http://en-us.sennheiser.com/wireless-tv-headphones - I've tried out the RS 120 and RS180 and they're nice for BT headphones.

I own a pair of these: http://store.sony.com/9.1ch-wireles...-catid-All-Headphones-Earbuds?_t=pfm=category

Not cheap, but I can't listen to anything through BT headphones and suppress a gag reflex. If you can find a pair of Sony MDR-DS7500 from a US supplier (many of them come from Japan, and the instructions aren't translated) they're pretty nice too.

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Those Sony headphones look really nice.

9. campyguy macrumors 68030

Yes, yes they do. And they sound so much better....

Forgot to mention, one can buy an extra pair of just the headphones for about $150-175 less and pair it to the control unit, so that two people can listen to the same source in peace while munching popcorn...

Like the 7500's before them, made in Japan and built like a tank. I'm not anti-China but I've had two pairs of MDR-V6 cans - one from Japan made so long ago that lasted for 7 years and a China-made pair that lasted 13 months. I'm also happy with my corded Brooklyn-made Grado SR325e cans, but they're open-backed and have a cord you could take to a fight and win with (it's a bit, um, thick...). Cheers!

10. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I use Nokia BH-905i, which has apparently been replaced by a different product line from Nokia that I haven't tried. I find that the noise cancellation works rather well. They're over-the-ear headphones but they don't cup your ear in, which I find makes them just a bit more comfortable for extended usage. I'd imagine there's less "passive noise cancellation" as a result, but I find that they do a decent job there as well. They also support some settings to increase the richness of the sound.

Regardless of which headphones you choose, I'd suggest using some sort of equalizer program to boost the areas where Bluetooth audio and/or your headphones are falling short. I use an application called Boom (available in the Mac App Store or on their website; I see that Boom 2 is now available, but I'm still using the original Boom). It helps to give more depth to the sound and to boost the bass. Boom isn't perfect - while videos appear to be synchronized with their audio, system sounds and music seem to develop a delay that increases the longer the program is running - and I believe there are other programs that do something similar (such as SoundFlower, if I remember correctly?). Just something to consider if you want to give your headphones a little more "oomph."

11. JulesK macrumors 6502

I really liked the Sony MDR-1RBT, but they are expensive. I tried the new Bose on-ear BT headphones for a while, and the very nice thing about them is that they remember up to 8 devices, so you are not constantly un-pairing/re-pairing them when you switch between sources. The downsides are that they are not comfortable if you are wearing glasses, and the sounds was noticeably inferior to a pair of Beats Studio Wireless (that I ended up keeping). Yes, I realize that people on this site HATE Beats (and I never expected to own a pair), but I got a pair at a decent price and figured I'd give them a shot, and was surprised by how comfortable they are and how good they sounded. It's a "fun," bass-emphasized sound, but enjoyable. (Note: Both the Bose and Beats are expensive, too.)

Bear in mind that there is a slight lag between video and audio when using a BT headphone. I never really cared about it, and only notice it watching videos if I'm looking for it, but it really bothers some people. I have no idea whether it would detract from game play.

12. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Are you looking to use BT to avoid having extra dongles? Or just wanting a nice sounding pair of wireless headphones?

13. techniqx macrumors newbie