Best brand of Dual/Double Layer DVD for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superleccy, Jul 23, 2007.

1. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Hi

Normally I am happy with single layer DVD-R, but occasionally I need something bigger.

I've always used Imation DVD-R, and never had a coaster, and never had a problem playing them on "normal" DVD players.

Can anyone recommend a brand of dual layer DVD (preferably DVD-R DL, although the specs on the Apple site say that +R DL also works) that actually works with the new SR Mac Book Pros and Toast 8 Titanium?

Cheers
    SL

2. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I would go for Verbatim +R DL DVDs...Verbatim is one of the best manufacturers out there and I've never had a problem with their discs. Are you going to use these discs to burn movies? If so, I would suggest using +R because they have a much wider compatibility with standalones, and you can set the booktype of the DVDs to DVD-Rom as well

3. L3X macrumors 6502a

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Do not get +R DL 's they suck

get these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817505008

i love them, burned 5 copies of disney movies for use in our office (people keep stealing the real copies) used +R DL's only ONE worked, -R DL's all of them worked, i used 4 diffrent burners, Pioneer, Sony, Oprtic, and Samsung, so i know it wasent a burner issue, +R DL disks are terrible, i have no idea why people like them.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i believe he wants blank media not a burner..however if it is an external burner you want i suggest this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151143

i have one and it works perfect! Not a single misburn save the +R DLs that none of my other burners would burn either

6. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but you're statement isn't true at all. Firstly, just because you had one brand of +R's that weren't good doesn't mean all of them are good. There are many different brands and you probably bought a cheaper +R brand. Second, it is a FACT that DVD+R dual-layer discs have greater compatibility than DVD-Rs do, especially if you bitset the DVD to DVD-Rom

7. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Wow, those have a pretty awful customer rating at Newegg.. 2/5!?
    And I've had *way* better luck with +Rs than -Rs, and I'm basing my experience on more than one brand of media over several systems.

To the OP, I would suggest not getting those.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

That’s because those people are using cheap burners, and im not using cheap media, ritek is one of the best brands there is beside tayio yuden, and tayio yuden doesn’t make DL media (that i can find anyway)

I’ve burned through a whole 50 pack of Ritek -R DLs and didn’t have a single problem with them (I back up all of my dvds at work, because like I said people steal them), i don’t know what people have against -R DL media but trust me from my extensive experience, and i do video editing and dvd burning for a living, ive had much better luck with -R DL media.

I have a whole spindle of +R DL verbatim disks that wouldn’t burn on any of my burners if you guys love them so much ill sell them to you real cheap because i cant stand them.

These are the ones i had so much trouble with
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817132038

so if someone knows of a good disk isnt 3 bucks a piece, then by all means suggest it, but so far the only suggestion has been Verbatim...so all yall who are dissing my suggestion, lets hear yours

9. superleccy thread starter macrumors 6502a

superleccy

In the single-layer world, I'd always understood that -R was more compatible with domestic players than +R, because -R has has been around for longer.

I've always used -R, and I've never not had one work in a domestic DVD player.

In the dual layer world, is it the other way round? I.e., is +R DL more compatible than -R DL?

Cheers
    SL

10. Arne macrumors regular

I have successfully used Platinum DVD+R DL Discs with my MacBook. I guess it should work with your MBP as well.

11. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I spend some time on the Doom9 forums, where they're experts on everything digital video. Here's a quote from a respected member, whom many senior members share the same consensus:

And here's the thread with the quote:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=128005

Again, this mainly has to do with burning DVD movies. If you're backing up data there isn't really any difference between the two formats.

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

sorry to revive an old thread, but since it's the exact same problem I had I figured it'd be better than starting a new one. I'm looking for the most reliable disks, I am using a spindle of 15 memorex dl dvds with a just replaced superdrive and am halfway through them without having one work yet. Needless to say I'm looking for an alternative. Does everyone agree that Verbatim is the best brand of dl disks? or is there more reliable? thanks

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I have Verbatims; never had an issue, well except for the fact that DL disks are still overpriced.