Best Brand of ram for iMac ?????

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jay9495, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Jay9495, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

Jay9495 macrumors regular

Hi all just wondering what the best brand of Ram to buy for the iMac is, I will be installing it myself and the ram apple sells is WAY overpriced,I will be buying the new 2012 high end 27" model, I have no idea about brands or speeds so can you please tell me what good brands are and what speeds to get, so basically just recommend me which ones to get, i am looking for 4x 4gb sticks to make up 16 gb.
    Ps. I will be gaming and doing video editing, price range from $0-$250
    Thanks in advance

2. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

3. TjeuV macrumors 6502

I got myself some kingstons

4. Jay9495 thread starter macrumors regular

5. omvs macrumors 6502

Pretty much everything should work. But debugging flakey ram is a real PITA whether on a mac or pc, so I generally try and buy something that looks semi-reputable.

crucial has been pretty good to me in the past, but prices were enough higher that i bought something else last time -- not even sure what I went with, just looked on newegg among the options and chose something that wasn't totally bottom of the line.

I think corsair is reasonable -- though you might consider just buying 8 gig (2x4) and taking the machine to 12gig. Doubling the cost for an extra 4 gig might not be worth it if you're cost sensitive.

What I would suggest is after upgrading the ram, run a stress test and make sure the system is stable. prime95's torture test is what I use - others might have different opinions.

6. doctorjj macrumors newbie

I've always had good luck with Crucial memory over the years and have 16GB of Crucial memory in my current iMac. No problems with it in the 9 months since I've installed it.

I have friends who also swear by OWC's (macsales.com) RAM as well.

7. flatfoot macrumors 65816

This RAM is physically incompatible with the iMac. Intel iMacs have used SO-DIMMs (laptop RAM) since their introduction.

The current iMacs use 204-pin PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMMs.
    In the next model the RAM might get bumped up to 1600MHz but I bet it'll still be 204-pin SO-DIMMs you need to buy. But we won't know for sure until they're released.

As for vendor compatibility: Go to some price-comparison site (I use http://geizhals.at/de/? since I live in Germany) navigate to whatever kind of RAM you'll need and sort by price. Even the cheapest set might work in your iMac and also a set from a renowned vendor might not.
    That's why mainboard manufacturers usually issue RAM compatibility lists for each model. Apple does not, of course, since they want to sell you their overpriced stuff.

Going by macsales.com (as mentioned above) might save you some headache since the RAM you can buy there is "Mac compatible". For that "certified compatibility", however, you usually pay a (maybe small) premium.

8. omvs macrumors 6502

Yeah, flatfoot is right - i completely spaced out that your corsair example was desktop ram. Sorry about that.

Looks like Crucial has a 8gb kits for $52. So 16GB is half of the corsair kit even with currency factors taken into account (unless i messed up :)

Here's the faster version (probably what new macs will use)
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT2KIT51264BC160B

Or the current version for the 2011 iMac
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=C369B8BDA5CA7304

Those prices look pretty competitive compared to what else I see on the web...

9. Jay9495 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow they really use mobile everything don't they ???
    I live in Australia and for some reason I cannot find it at any of my local stores.
    But I get this will be good since it says its for the iMac ? It doesn't matter if theres 2 different brands in the iMac does it ?

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/cmsa8gx3m2a1333c9-corsair-2x4gb-memory-1333mhz-ddr3-dimm-apple-imac-macbook-macbook-p-53830.html?sort=2a

10. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I go with Crucial. They tend to use the same OEM parts that Apple does. Plus, of the seven Macs that I've outfitted with Crucial RAM, zero of them have had problems.

11. ravinder08 macrumors 6502

Another vote for crucial added the 8 GB kit so now running 12GB RAM on my 2010 i7.
    Haven't experienced any problems with it at all, the price is very good at the moment too.