Best Buy AT&T iPhone X full price - is it unlocked?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So I just managed to get a November 3 delivery of the iPhone X on AT&T - full price, for delivery.

Is this unlocked? And if not, is it easy to get AT&T to unlock it for me? I have an AT&T account, post-paid.

Thanks, guys.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Make sure you activate it with a Verizon SIM card in there. Doesn’t even need to be an active SIM, when you connect it to WiFi on the initial activation screen just make sure a Verizon SIM is in there, and the phone will be unlocked. After you make it to the “Enable Location Settings” screen you can pop your AT&T SIM in and you’ll be good.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 65832
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Not unlocked. It's Universal. Basically best buy has universal iPhone skus to make inventory not as hectic. Once you put your ATT sim in it, you can then go to AT&T's device unlock site and get the device unlocked. It's fairly easy. But just please don't put a sprint or t-mobile or whatever other random carrier sim into your phone b/c the device will be subject to whatever unlocking policy that particular carrier has

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Make sure you activate it with a Verizon SIM card in there. Doesn’t even need to be an active SIM, when you connect it to WiFi on the initial activation screen just make sure a Verizon SIM is in there, and the phone will be unlocked. After you make it to the “Enable Location Settings” screen you can pop your AT&T SIM in and you’ll be good.
Seriously? Why the hoops? Can't I just activate on AT&T and just get them to unlock it? I don't want to somehow screw this up and have it locked to Verizon (if that's even a thing).
[doublepost=1509092083][/doublepost]
Not unlocked. It's Universal. Basically best buy has universal iPhone skus to make inventory not as hectic. Once you put your ATT sim in it, you can then go to AT&T's device unlock site and get the device unlocked. It's fairly easy. But just please don't put a sprint or t-mobile or whatever other random carrier sim into your phone b/c the device will be subject to whatever unlocking policy that particular carrier has
That makes sense. Does the device have to be on AT&T for any period of time to do the unlock on my post-paid account? Or will it be an instant thing?

TinaNYCTower

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2017
So I just managed to get a November 3 delivery of the iPhone X on AT&T - full price, for delivery.

Is this unlocked? And if not, is it easy to get AT&T to unlock it for me? I have an AT&T account, post-paid.

Thanks, guys.
Sorry to high jack your thread but I thought only T-Mobile X can be purchased full price outside a store? I did the Verizon financing but it seemed to want to charge me full price ? Is this normal? My first time ordering this way. Sorry

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 65832
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Seriously? Why the hoops? Can't I just activate on AT&T and just get them to unlock it? I don't want to somehow screw this up and have it locked to Verizon (if that's even a thing).
[doublepost=1509092083][/doublepost]

That makes sense. Does the device have to be on AT&T for any period of time to do the unlock on my post-paid account? Or will it be an instant thing?
Nope. You can literally get the device and put your ATT sim in it and then go to their device unlock site and input the IMEI info and get the unlocking process started. Usually takes AT&T about 2-5 days to finish up the process

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Nope. You can literally get the device and put your ATT sim in it and then go to their device unlock site and input the IMEI info and get the unlocking process started. Usually takes AT&T about 2-5 days to finish up the process
Excellent. Thanks!

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 65832
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
That phone is then a real world phone, too then. Since it's CDMA/GSM capable? Technically the superior phone to the GSM-only?
As far as I know, when AT&T unlocks it....its only unlocked for GSM use...which shouldn't be a problem for most, considering that's what 90% of the world uses

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 65832
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
If it is the universal model it will. If it is the model purchased through Apple it won't. Best Buy only sells the universal model.
They do but universal isn't unlocked. It adheres to the unlocking policy of the first sim thats inserted, which would be AT&T in this case. So the question is does an AT&T phone unlocked by AT&T support Verizon's CDMA network? I'd say no. LTE, yes. But CDMA, I don't think it would work tbh

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
They do but universal isn't unlocked. It adheres to the unlocking policy of the first sim thats inserted, which would be AT&T in this case. So the question is does an AT&T phone unlocked by AT&T support Verizon's CDMA network? I'd say no. LTE, yes. But CDMA, I don't think it would work tbh
I purchased an iPhone SE from Best Buy and it worked with Verizon once AT&T processed an unlock.

Reactions: MareLuce

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Interesting. Assume you paid full price for the phone? How long did your unlock take to process?
I paid full price but it shouldn't matter once AT&T unlocks it. Usually AT&T won't unlock it until it is fully paid off. It took about a day.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Please listen to me lol, I work in Best Buy Mobile and we sell these phones as unlocked more times a day than I sell them to locals.

Just pop a Verizon SIM in the phone, activate it with that and it's unlocked. You don't have to deal with AT&T unlocking the phone, Verizon iPhones are unlocked iPhones!

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Thanks, guys.
You should read my thread here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-buy-sells-iphones-subject-to-the-us-reseller-flex-policy.2079815/#post-25290522
[doublepost=1509164221][/doublepost]
I purchased an iPhone SE from Best Buy and it worked with Verizon once AT&T processed an unlock.
The SE is a carrier model. The iPhone 7/7+/8/8+ and presumably the X are s/t the USRFP. See my thread here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-buy-sells-iphones-subject-to-the-us-reseller-flex-policy.2079815/#post-25290522

lovelybai

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012

Thanks, guys.
Before you turn on for the first time
If you put verizon post paid card, it is immmediately unlocked.
If you put att in it, get att to unlock it. They will do it but with some delays.
If you put tmobile or sprint in it, good luck

Reactions: JulesJam