Best Buy Black Tie Protection for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Sep 23, 2012.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Was at Best Buys yesterday to check out their iPhone 5 accessories. Was talking to one of the reps there and he asked if I got my 5 from Best Buy. I said I pre ordered from Apple and mentioned that I didn't get Apple Care + yet.

He said even though I didn't purchase my 5 from BB I can purchase BB Black Tie protection.

He said it's $14.99/month or $230 one time. It includes unlimited repairs. He said you don't get a swap. They give you a loner phone and it usually takes 3-5 days to get a replacement.

Anybody ever have BB protection for the iPhone? What's your experience?

2. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I'm not here for it tbh. I've gotten an iPod Classic "repaired" by Best Buy before. They infact didn't repair it, but they gave me one of their refurbished units which used inferior parts and it was very obvious.

I'd stick to the AppleCare+. At least with that you know you're getting an Apple made and certified product, and Apple's refurbs are next-to-none in the industry. It's practically a new phone.

3. Housed13 macrumors newbie

I had purchased a iPhone 4 and two year protection plan from geek squad when I had purchased the protection plan they had lied to me and said when the phone breaks they will switch it in store I went in today to switch out my phone and to my suprise they said it takes 3 to 5 days and its $50 for a loaner phone if I had known that or the best buy employees were honest with me originally I would not have spent $120 on the protection plan all the manager could tell me was unfortanatly theirs nothing they can do so instead of customer service I feel like I have been scammed out of $120 and am stuck with a broken phone

4. corys00 macrumors regular

How are you stuck with a broken phone? Did they say you can't make a claim?

If you break your phone, or think you could possibly break your phone more than twice, the Black Tie is worth it.

5. wxman2003 Suspended

If there is one thing about Best Buy that is true, it's they never do anything right.

6. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

I wouldn't put one egg in the best buy basket (so to speak). They're a failing, antequated form of electronics retail. It's a matter of time at this point. They're like that old dog that you used to like playing fetch with but now it just lays around, smells, and waits to die. It's sad really.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The only other insurance options that I'd consider besides Applecare might be those that cover in the case of loss or theft.

The insurance at Best Buy doesn't offer that I don't think, and seems to be inferior and more expensive.

8. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

you're much better off getting AppleCare+. between the much lower cost, and the quality of the service, The Black Tie plan really pales in comparison.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If you want a black tie, go to Nordstroms, if you want protection for your device, don't go to Best Buy.