Best buy charging 50$ extra?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simgar988, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I went into best buy to buy my iPhone 5 off contract. They sold me a 16GB for 699$ rather than 649$. What is going on?

2. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Best Buy does not want to sell off-contract phones? I actually think it is standard practice for them to be $50-$100 more then the carriers.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why in the hell did you even pay $50 more? Does it come with a warranty of sorts (outside Apple Care)?

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I believe they are charging the extra $50 because they don't get anything back from the carrier for selling a retail phone.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Since when? This is the first I've heard of that. I thought Apple was pretty tight on the price point but maybe that is only if they want to discount it.

6. Hakone macrumors 6502a

Brick and mortar stores got to make money somehow!

7. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Snapple is looking into the scalping that Worst buy is doing as we speak

8. Jay A whY macrumors newbie

Best Buy does price match AT&T/Verizon/Apple's online price.. Go back and get your $50..

9. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

They have been doing this for a while. On their website they are asking $699 for an off contact ATT 16gb GSIII. They make their money selling contracts, not phones. So bumping the price up discourages people from buying off contract. (But their on contract prices are often lower then the carriers)

10. soco macrumors 68030

soco

This is all true. It's $50 more at Best Buy, even though other retailers that are in the same position of not making extra money on off-contract phones don't charge extra, and in some cases (Walmart) it's even cheaper.

Best Buy has some great advantages, and their Black Tie insurance for phones is definitely one of them, but if you can avoid buying the phone directly from them, and get it elsewhere, then go to them for the insurance, you're much better off.

Me? I screwed up because I didn't learn until it was too late that Best Buy's Black Tie insurance is available to put on phones that are bought outside of Best Buy. Now that I know, I'll do my future purchases elsewhere.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't recall this happening any other year with iPhones. That is what I'm saying.

12. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

No Problem. That may be true, but Best Buy as a company is in a world of hurt right now, so obviously they only want to sell iPhones on contracts to get the carrier kickbacks.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Totally agreed. I just don't know why anyone would see how the price is higher and just opt to pay it.

14. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Because Jessica. The person (I) was to excited, assumed best buy had price match, and wasn't even sure if the price really was 649 rather than 699.

I don't see why people like cats, but people do..

15. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

They sold the 4s for $50 extra too, but I had no trouble price matching.

16. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

17. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

They are $699 for the 16GB at the Apple Store here in Canada now. The 4S was $659.

18. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Best Buy has a policy to price match. If Apple is selling it for $649, they will price match

19. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Just remember that in the future never pay the listed price for anything without first asking for a lower price. You do not always get it, but I have never had them raise the price because I asked for a discount and most of the time I get the discount.

20. Tzuten macrumors 6502

As a buyer, and making a significant purchase, you should know what you're getting into. Best Buy has price matched everything I ever asked, even from obscure online vendors. I have no problems with the store or their policies. As others said, even after you realized you paid 50 dollars more, take the receipt and they'll credit your account.

I make all my significant electronic purchases via Best Buy... With their price matching, instant gratification (don't have to worry about shipping), and their rewards program which is actually pretty good I'm getting deals all the time.