Best Buy: Claims '32GB Black iPhone recalled, none in the store'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xciteboy, Jun 23, 2010.

1. xciteboy macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I pre-ordered a 32GB Black iPhone last week. I was one of the first to do so at the Cambridgeside Galleria in Cambridge, MA.

I just received a call about my pre-order. They claim, and I quote "Apple recalled the 32GB iPhone so we don't have any in the store. We expect to get fixed ones in next week."

WTF? Anyone else here about an alleged recall? Seems from the people already using their iPhone 32GB that they are fine?

Anyone else hear this from Best Buy?

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Not a chance my local best buy received 60 iphones today... 20 of which were 32gig models

3. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

My 32GB is fine, nothing wrong that I can see at least. Dont you think Apple wouldve recalled their own shipments first if there was a problem?

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

My local BB (well, one of my local BBs) received not a single 32GB phone.

5. irish1313 macrumors member

mine also. They got 5 16gb black. I live in a mid size market, cannot believe only 5, but I watched her # each box.

6. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

local BB does not have any 32's here. they wouldn't disclose how many in inventory. but they are prepared for campers.

7. mqguitar macrumors member

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm right in the D.C. Metro area and the iPhone is huge here. I'm honestly kind of surprised they got short-shrift.

9. pcorrado macrumors 6502

Apple could have just recalled them as in, not shipped any to BBY, keep the 32's for their own stores?

10. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

It sounds like the employee was just looking for a way to explain to (angry) customers that they won't be getting the 32GB version they ordered.

Apple shipped my 32GB iPhone4. No word on any recall, and others have 32GB versions working.

11. bova80 macrumors 6502a

maybe they took them back from best buy so they could ship them to att and apple pre-orders

12. tritonj macrumors 6502a

the title really should be changed to sales guy at best buy and not best buy, since this isn't from corp just some random sales guy who really has no credibility whatsoever

13. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

Dude's an idiot--Maybe Apple 'recalled' the phones that store was slated to get, so Apple could sell them or give them to AT&T or something.

If you've ever played the 'telephone' game, that's what it's like with Best Buy employees (I used to be one!). One person hears something and tells someone else and they tell someone else and eventually you get a pile of BS.

14. Despacio macrumors member

My best buy got a whoppong 2 32GB phones, and I was #6 on the list so I'm out of luck until the next shipment. I have $165 in reward zone points I've banked over a year as well as a $35 gift card, so I'm cool with waiting if it means I only have to pay $100 for my iPhone4.

15. Munitalp macrumors 65816

16. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Why would you reserve at that best buy when they have a huge apple store in the same mall? Seems ridiculous. That best buy has idiots working there too lol. Good luck man

17. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Best Buy is notorious with these presale problems... most stores got like 6 iPads at launch and they had over 50 preorders...

18. xciteboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Why Best Buy: Because of the AT&T server issues, I wasn't able to get through online to pre-order. Had to be at work, and couldn't get to the brick-and-mortar Apple Store until after they stopped pre-orders. Yeah, I knew I could get hosed and it wasn't my first choice...

I bet Apple did 'recall' some units and reallocate them to their own stores or ATT stores. That sounds plausible. But that's certainly not what BB said.

I just called BB back and spoke with the manager. He apologized and said the sales girl must have misunderstood. He said they got 2 32GB phones in the store, and therefore was not able to fill my pre-order yet. I have to give him credit; he was extremely polite and seemed to want to help. He's actually trying to see if he can get me one of the 16GB phones. I'm skeptical that's going to work out, but I think it's cool that he's going to try.

Here's how I think they should have handled it:

"Hello sir. I'm calling about your iPhone pre-order. Unfortunately, we got almost no 32GB phones. Because you pre-ordered so early, I can offer you a 16GB phone instead. If you'd prefer to wait for a 32GB phone to come in, we'll call you as soon as we receive it. "

In other words, they should have:

1) Given preference based on day and time of pre-order
    2) Not lied

I'd like to take the manager at his word and believe the sales girl wasn't lying on purpose. But a friend of mine who also pre-ordered at this very same BB emailed me a few minutes ago: "Best Buy called and said the 32GB iPhones had a manufacturing defect and were recalled, the store didn't receive any."

That's a pretty specific 'misunderstanding'!!

19. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

No news about an official recall besides some yellowing of the displays.

IMAGINE! if the employees are taking the first batch?!

20. tritonj macrumors 6502a

if there is a defect you don't recall from 1 chain of stores. considering that phones have already been shipped and received the last 2 days and there is no actual news of a recall anywhere, i'd say best buy just got their shipments pulled.

the only plausible thing is there is a batch that had a defect and they all happened to go to best buy, and that seems to be a long shot to me

more than likely the store got screwed so that is their excuse.