Best Buy now only selling iPads via In-store reservations?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SiMBa37, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

Called my local best buy today. There was a pre-recorded message about how iPad sales will only be via in-store reservations.

Are you guys finding this in other areas? If so, then this might be a good way to get one without waiting 6 weeks from Apple Online.

2. maxinflixion macrumors member

Their website was showing UNAVAILABLE for all non 3g models yesterday. Now it shows IN STORE ONLY (w/ no way to check local stores) while 3g models still show as unavailable when you check availability. This would seem to confirm the recording.

Hoping some of those reservations are fulfilled soon as I have two reservations and am eagerly awaiting a call.

3. 9OOYO macrumors regular

I was looking online before and using the "find in stores" option that is now unavailable. I think they pulled this down b/c units in store that were "reserved" were showing as available in the system.

4. brettatk macrumors regular

I think most people knew that starting Saturday March 12, Best Buy was going to start taking reservations for iPads. I assumed that any shipments received would be allocated to those reservations and once they were all taken care of then you could walk in and purchase an iPad. I've only seen one instance where someone said Best Buy called them to come get their iPad. I made my reservation Saturday shortly after they opened, I think I was the 4th one. I asked when they'd receive a shipment in and they said that depended on Apple. It's all a crapshoot though. The only reason I'm buying at Best Buy is because I already had $300 worth of gift cards.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Being on the list doesnt mean you wont wait 6wks though. From the reports so far then some Best Buys only received 2 in a post-launch shipment so even if you're number 12 then you may end up being 3 or 4 shipments down the list.

But still, I'd prefer a slow reservation system than waiting in line every day at another seller just to be told there's nothing in stock yet. I hope Apple opens up the reservation system again because people really could use it now.

6. 26.2 macrumors member

Agree.

7. ImaVeggie macrumors regular

ImaVeggie

I reserved an iPad at the 2 closest Best Buys; Commack & Huntington on Long Island on Saturday. I called both today; neither received any subsequent shipments. One store was able (or willing) to tell me I'm 1st on the list for a white 16GB AT&T.

I just the Apple Store in Huntington and asked if they got any more shipments since the launch. Guy said he thinks so.

I honestly don't think Best Buy will be calling me for at least 2 weeks. Has anyone been called yet?

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I noticed this too... I'm about to break down and order one online. I used to check their availability but I'm not about to call over and over again daily. This sucks.

9. maxinflixion macrumors member

Although it is an impossibility, it’d be nice to have some sort of idea whether it will be 6 hours, 6 days or 6 weeks before they see stock. I was 2nd on the list at both BB’s I reserved at.

If anyone gets called on their reservation, it’d be great to hear about it.

10. JenBen75 macrumors newbie

Some folks have been called and I believe you have 48hrs to pick it up.

11. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I need my iPad 2 like ASAP! Everyone at work is walking around with their first gens, and its making me sad.

Come on Apple.....Sow some love to Best Buy.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

No, no you don't.

13. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

it s*cks, my local BB only takes reservation on wifi models.

14. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

At least it feels that way

15. Mr502 macrumors newbie

If you really want one. Wait it out for someone to return one to your local BB. I told the lady working I was waiting for one. I picked one up today after being offered one the past 2 days. I even got 50 bucks off the 32gig wifi because it was a return. Sweet!!!

16. Davichi macrumors 6502

No way you can get iPad 2 at best buy. Best hope is with apple store.

You are just gambling with your chance.

17. aserafin macrumors member

Was able to confirm this yesterday in the store. They had 5 units in the store I went to, but only one was available for sale (16gb 3G ATT black) and the other 4 were pre-sales. The manager pulled up the district inventory for this model and I was surprised to see out of the ~10 stores in the Indianapolis area, the most any had "on order" was 20. 4 or 5 of the stores actually had ZERO listed as on order, even in a few of their bigger stores in the area. I was told that the one I bought was an unopened return and that they hadnt received any shipments since launch.

18. machan macrumors regular

My Best Buy iPad reservation indicates otherwise. I'm 6th or 7th on the list. Just have to wait patiently, which for me is not a problem.

19. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

My Best Buy said they were not doing reservations period. I was told you had to pay full price if you wanted one, then wait for it to come in. When I asked how long that would be, they said it was entirely up to Apple, that they had no way of knowing when or if stock would be replenished.

I decided to hang onto my iPad 1. When version 3 or 4 comes around I'll think about updating.