Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I was looking to get the 128gb 9.7 inch for $749 but now the 12.9 inch is just $849... Best Buy just added to the iPad Pro madness hahaha. I bet Apple is hating this right now.

I will probably stick with the 9.7 but now it feels even more over priced....Should I wait until the 9.7 drops in price at retailers outside of Apple?

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
I was looking at that too! o_O Just wondering about the size and weight. I use my 4th gen all the time. It is great for browsing the web in bed or on the couch. The 12.9" is a little heavier. I too was looking into the 128gb 9.7" IPP. even with the 2gb of ram. Ugh decision, decisions.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
If you prefer the 9.7" form factor, I'd suggest you wait for a better deal on it :). Well that's what I'm going to do anyway...

family_guy

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
I have a feeling the 9.7 Pro will drop in price pretty quickly. It's not going to be a hot item compared to the Air 2.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Staples has a better deal at $799. You can also price match I guess.

Wow! I have never seen prices drop this fast for an apple product. It is really making me consider waiting for the 9.7 pro and I am usually an early adopter. However, I do think its the huge screen size of the 12.9 that has created all this excess stock around the country. Not sure the 9.7 will follow this trend.

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
If you prefer the 9.7" form factor, I'd suggest you wait for a better deal on it :). Well that's what I'm going to do anyway...

how do you find the bigger IPP? did you come from an older iPad? Did it take a while to adjust to it? Do apps look like crap or the same? Looks as if you are wanting to go back to the normal size. I am just curious

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
how do you find the bigger IPP? did you come from an older iPad? Did it take a while to adjust to it? Do apps look like crap or the same? Looks as if you are wanting to go back to the normal size. I am just curious

The bigger iPP is pretty good for media consumption, but it loses out quite a bit in portability. I like the Pencil and Smart Keyboard, but it's definitely not a carry-it-comfortably device, even within your home. Apps just need time to get updated, but so far many of them are coming around (Youtube, etc.)

I'm a huge iPad fan, so I always get all variants. I wouldn't say I want to "go back" to the normal size - more like it fills a hole for a more portable iPad which isn't as small as the iPad mini. I'm actually less impressed with using "pro" features on the smaller iPad - the keyboard is going to be a lot harder to type on for the smaller 9.7" size - see Anandtech's hands on. Also, the smaller size makes it less comfortable to use for writing - the 12.9" is actually a lot closer to the size of a A4 or US Letter piece of paper.

I still consider the 9.7" "Pro" just a marketing stunt - it's much more an iPad Air 3 than an iPad Pro mini.

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
Masotime, Thanks a lot for your input. :) I primarily use it at home. so portability not a huge factor. I also really want to use the pencil and start doing some digital drawing/artwork. I have heard and seen that it is awesome for that. Maybe the bigger size would benefit me in that aspect and just keep my existing one for bedside reading browsing until a future price drop or upgrade of the 9.7" model. best of both worlds. ;) If Best Buy will price match Staples that really is a hard bargain to pass up. $50 more for twice the memory alone. :eek: Also, I am coming from a 4th gen experience so anything I choose will be a huge upgrade I am sure.

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
this is a great deal. I think the 4gb ram is the reason i'm going for the 12.9. Thanks for the link

Awesome. I think I am going to go with this now instead of the 9.7" Only $50 more for a bigger screen, 2 gb more ram and the possibility for USB 3 transfer speeds. not as good of cameras or flash but I don't care, I have an iPhone for that.

I did exactly this! BB price matched so I picked up a 128gb IPP and Pencil for $978 and change incl tax. :cool::D

harrypham

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
SA, Texas
I did exactly this! BB price matched so I picked up a 128gb IPP and Pencil for $978 and change incl tax. :cool::D
$972 in Texas

2 days ago, I got 1 32GB one for $758 from bestbuy and 1 apple pencil from apple store. I didn't open them because I wanted to watch what is going on discussion about the 9.7". Yesterday, I saw the 2GB threads and Staples offers $150 off on 12.9", I took my brand new 32GB one back to bestbuy, then I had bestbuy matched $799 for the 128GB one.

Reactions: Godzilla71

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
DAMN, now I'm torn. Should I go ahead and get this or wait for the 31st to get the new one. I plan on doing a lot of note taking for school.

Bigredhunk

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015
I wish the 256 GB model would've been released in time for this Staples sale! BB sale is pretty good too if you can find a 10% coupon to use with it.

iTeachMath

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Massachusetts
My original plan was to sell my iPad Air 2 and buy the 9.7 pro. BUT, this Staples deal seems too good to pass up. Now thinking of buying the iPP 12.9 and just keeping the Air 2 as the device that I travel with. Very tempting...

Reactions: lyngo

Mainiac

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Maine
DAMN, now I'm torn. Should I go ahead and get this or wait for the 31st to get the new one. I plan on doing a lot of note taking for school.

That's a tough call. Honestly I would suggest picking up the 12.9" and using it for a week and if you feel it's too cumbersome return it and exchange it for the 9.7".

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
If you live in a place with high sales tax which isn't NYC, it may be cheaper to get it from B&H Photo Video. Although priced higher at $849, e.g. if Sales tax is 8.75%, you'd be paying $870 after taxes if you bought it at $799 from Staples.

Reactions: Agile55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.