Best Buy opened all 6 iPad 2s(3G AT&T 64GB) for me and only 1 had no light bleeding

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ZoomLens, May 31, 2011.

1. ZoomLens macrumors newbie

I want to say that I'm absolutely impressed with the sales associate and MOD
    at my local Best Buy. This morning, I made my usual daily call to them and
    was told that they got 8 64gb 3G AT&T iPad 2 units in. (2 white, 6 black) I've
    been bugging them with my daily call for two weeks. :) I felt kind of guilty,
    but they are one of the only two stores in my area that sell the ipad 2.

Anyway, I got there around noon and went straight to the Apple area. I asked
    the sales associate if I could open it up to check for light bleeding problem on
    the screen. She said no problem and indicated that I wasn't the only one who
    did that. The only thin was that I had to pay first. Not a problem with me. :)

Strike one.... bad bleeding in one corner, clearly visible even inside the bright
    Best Buy store. The sales associate asked me to wait at the customer service
    area while she went to the back to get another one.

Strike two... Strike three...... The fifth one had the least amount of bleeding,
    but still visible on the counter. The MOD came over and said "wow... they all
    look terrible" and then called somebody to bring over another one.(the 6th one)
    The 6th one was even worse... :( I went back to the 5th one and looked it
    over again. I decided that it was so minor that I would accept it. It was only
    bleeding along the bottom left edge, like a very thin line... The MOD
    even apologized for my troubles and took off 10% off. (SOMETHING I
    THOUGHT THEY WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO DO ON ALL APPLE PRODUCTS!!!)

I left the store 99% happy, having spent nearly an hour and half during all
    the unboxing/booting/repacking/unboxing/booting/repacking.....

All 6 units were 64GB 3G AT&T.... so I guess they must have been from the
    same batch at the factory. I forgot to look at the serial number of the other
    units. The one that I brought home was manufactured 3 weeks ago, according
    to the other threads that I found on this forum.

Like I said, I'm very impressed with Best Buy. Completely not impressed with
    Apple's quality control, unfortunately. :D

2. Built macrumors 68020

Glad it worked out for you. Head on over to the Backlight Bleed thread and have User512 add your serial number (first 5 characters) to his chart...

I have a DLXFK with no light bleed.

3. lavrishevo, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I'm honestly shocked they did that for you. Who wants to buy an opened iPad 2?

Also, all lcd's have backlight bleed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1125972

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Do you mind telling me which BestBuy store is that? :confused: It is definitely awesome that they were so generous & did what they did for you. :eek: :)

I'm pretty amazed by the excellent service at your local BestBuy store, unlike my local BestBuy store who wouldn't even allow me to make a single exchange but only allowed me to return for a refund & even that refund was only through store credit. :( I guess what kind of service one will get will depend on the store & the employee who serves you. :p

5. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Back in the day when I was so anal about my DVD's, Future Shop basically kicked me out for exchanging/opening 4 sets. LOL

So I'm surprised they did for you too. Hopefully, now you can enjoy it.

6. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

Hint: Apple quit your squables with sammy make up and be the best friends you where and even ask them to give you a sweet deal on some oleds and this lightbleeding thing will be past tense

7. MayorQuimby macrumors member

I love Apple and their products but I hope they choke on those 5 other ipads along with hundreds of thousands more. Taking your customers for granted is a sure sign of bad things to come.

8. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Are you joking? Apple has no problem abusing their customers. Behold the unholy application that is iTunes

9. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

And then he went home a realized how yellow the screen was.

10. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

How did you know? :confused: :p

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I have no problems with iTunes. I find it quite simple and straight forward. But i know what it can and cant do. I also tend to read manuals before using a product... software or hardware. And I have had no problems with Apple customer service in the U.S. or Europe.

I always find it funny that somehow Apple is rated number 1 in customer satisfaction year in and year out, but not every store and not every salesperson it perfect. I'm sure there is the occasional disgruntled person. You seem like one of them.

12. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I dot believe this. I work at a BB and there's just no way any store would do this. If they did then someone is in deep doo doo once a district manager or store manager finds opened iPad 2 boxes.

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

This whole story stinks of BS....open 6 and then get 10% off....I don't believe a word of it. Best Buy would not do it unless it was your mother working there..

14. chazmink macrumors member

It may be true but I think the purchase receipt is associated with a serial number so was each ipad exchanged for another and ultimately returned for a 10% discount?

15. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Were you able to compare serial numbers to see if the good one was from the same batch or a different one?