Best Buy Quail Springs OKC OK - Ripped Me Off

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Spink10, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

At 5:47 PM Nov. 19th 2011 I purchased an Open Box 2011 iMac 27Inch (low end)

Best Buy had all Apple Computers on sale -
    Originally 1,699
    Sale 92.00 off
    10% discount for open box
    $100 off open box coupon expires today :)
    1,347.19 before tax
    1,460.01 with tax
    What a deal!

Come home - tell my wife I am going to video record opening box because i have read about weird things happening to people with Best Buy.

So I open the box all seems normal, still videoing and start to notice several scratches and other little marks, screen in the top left corner has a small spot that is "jacked up".

It gets worse...

Turn on iMac - my first one ever :)

After messing with some stuff i go to About my Mac...and i about pass out...
    3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 - O NO O NO - THIS ISNT THE RIGHT iMAC this is a 2010 MODEL - NO!!!!!!

So I call Best Buy
    Talk to 4 people - finally i get a store manager

She is very short with me - proceeds to give me a "good deal" on a brand new iMac 2011 - $200 off - which is 1499 before tax

I tell her that will not be acceptable I paid 1,347 before tax and I want a NEW UNOPENED iMac in exchange for my 2010 Model that Best Buy tried to sneak by me. (Whether on purpose or accident I cannot know, but they claimed it was the i5 and it was not.) Glad I purchased it instead of someone who would not know the difference.

She said she is unable to give me a NEW UNOPENED for mine - they don't have any more opened 27inch iMac's.

She gave me the General Mangers name - I will be contacting him tomorrow. I will let you know.

Best Buy may be cheap - but their customer service is indescribably horrible.

2. btdpi007 macrumors member

Sorry to break it to you, but I think you are SOL. Best Buy is not obligated to provide you a new, unopened computer. Your options are most likely going to be a) return the i3 iMac and get a refund or b) take them up on their $200 off offer.

3. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

They will provide simular exchange product (if possible) or return 100% of your dollars. By law, they are not forced to upgrade & "price match". They will do it for friendly tone customers.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I agree, personally I'd never buy a computer let alone a Mac from BBY. I'd recommend returning for a refund assuming you can. It's clear you are trying to save money so I'd recommend buying a refurbished Mac directly from Apple. I've never seen one that did not appear brand new, they come with the same warranty as a new machine and are also eligible for Apple Care. You can find what is currently available by visiting:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

You may have to pay a couple of bucks more but what value can you put on peace of mind?

Good luck.

5. Spink10 thread starter macrumors 601

Spink10

A opened iMac replacement would be fine with me - they don't have one, so i requested a new one. You could not be more friendlier than I was. I understand that kindness goes along way. I just want a iMac for 1,460.01 - unopened or opened doesn't matter.

Their mistake - They offered an iMac for 1460.01 with tax and I accepted. Turns out they gave me the wrong product. I still want what I paid for :)

Hopefully Chuck will have a better solution - since they tried to sneak a 2010 by me (on purpose or accident - we know not)

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Did the serial number on the Mac match the one on the box?

7. Spink10, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

Spink10 thread starter macrumors 601

Spink10

nope

P.S. The difference between what I paid and a unopened iMac from BB with current discount plus $200 is only 70 dollars after tax. Which is a lot for my income, very little for BB.

8. topmounter, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Maybe some day they will open an Apple Store in OKC and you won't be forced to shop at Best (because I don't know any better) Buy.

You could have bought a refurbed i5 from Apple for that kind of money and it would have been indiscernible from a new one rather than a Best Buy Open-Box "bargain".

9. Spink10 thread starter macrumors 601

Spink10

They do have an apple store here - the apple refurbished is 79.62 more than this one with tax. I heard bad things about BB - thus I videoed recorded the opening of the box.

I may just go with the refurbished from apple - i just felt so violated when I found out they sold me an old model...gotta have it happen to you to really sense the disappointment.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Pretty sure there's a clause somewhere stating that Bestbuy can refuse/deny/cancel a sale under any circumstances. (They at least have this in a lot of other stores).

Good luck though.

11. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

That's the thing, this would have never happened to me and you knew enough that it shouldn't have happened to you either. I hesitate to buy NIB items from Best Buy, so there's no way I'd get anywhere near an "open box" big ticket item from them... Especially not for such a meager savings. It would have to be a heck of a lot more than 5% off for me to roll the dice in that place.

Thankfully you can get your money back and chalk this one up to personal experience.

12. iRCL macrumors 6502

This sounds like the only unboxing video I would possibly watch without leaving a mocking reply

13. btdpi007 macrumors member

Best Buy is not morally or legally obligated to give you an exact substitute for the computer you purchase. They are obligated to refund your money which is sounds as if they are willing to do. Once you are refunded your money you are considered whole and can take your money and purchase a computer elsewhere.

I find it highly unlikely that whether you speak to the store manager, district manager, regional manager, or the CEO you'll be getting the computer you want (unopened and new) for the price you paid.

14. radardude macrumors newbie

radardude

Best Buy iMac

I have bought a couple open box Apple products from Best Buy without any problems. 24" iMac in Norman,OK and 11" MacBook Air in Wilkes-Barre, PA. As with any open box product, it is incumbent on the buyer to check the merchandise before leaving the store. Make sure all of the cords, documentation, software and etc are intact. Furthermore, as someone else mentioned verify the serial numbers.

IMO, your best bet is to return it and get your money back and learn from this experience. If you do get a new unopened box for the same price, keep us informed and post the name of the person that gave it to you so that we can thank them for going the extra mile to satisfy the customer.

Good Luck

15. Spink10 thread starter macrumors 601

Spink10

True

However, the extra $70 I am asking off isnt unreasonable IMHO

16. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Apple computers have razor thin profit margins, so the $200 off they are offering you is probably at the 0 profit point for them. So an extra $70 would mean that they would be losing money. That might not be a big deal for Best Buy Corporate, but the general manager of the store isn't going to take that hit.

I sympathize with your situation and I've had my issues with Best Buy in the past, but you really should have check an open box item before leaving the store. The way I see things unfolding is that you will return the open box i3 and they give you a gift card for your troubles.

17. Spink10 thread starter macrumors 601

Spink10

Best Buy Quail Springs OKC OK MAKES IT RIGHT!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1279017

The above link is to a previous thread about Best Buy. The problem has been solved. I received an unopened iMac!!!!! I desire to accurately review the Best Buy Quail Springs OKC OK

Patrick: Geek Squad Manager
    Kevin: Apple Man :) Thanks for your assistance and your very pleasant attitude.
    Johnny
    Chuck - General Manager - Keep up the good service to your customers and making a wrong - right.
    All other employees i talked with - about 7 of you :)

18. concernedone macrumors regular

concernedone

That sucks! The deal they gave you isn't that bad since you are getting a brand new model.

I also purchased an open boxed model iMac (same model) at best buy.

The first store I went to, they had 2 of this model but both were MISSING components (keyboard and mouse) and had scratches and dents.

The second store I visited (I called and asked, and then, I reserved the model). Once I got there, the sales person and I opened and examined the model beforehand. I am very picky before buying so I looked everywhere!
    I didn't turn on the model but they said there's a 14 day return policy for any reason. So, I took it home.

I had to fresh install Lion on this iMac because it still had the previous owner's user login on there but everything else is like brand new.

I would take the deal (still a good deal that you can't find anywhere else) or just return the iMac and get full refund.

19. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

When I worked retail selling computers, Best Buy was a competitor..after some of my 'potential customs' bought from them, a few days later they were back in my store.....telling me of their experiences at BestBuy.

Does your sales receipt say you purchased a 2011 iMac? I don't see how the store has a leg to stand on if what was inside was a 2010.

As mentioned previously, I am hoping you will get your money back and but from the Apple Store.

Good luck!

20. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

dude it is cool that you won. Bestbuy or any other retailer is not allowed to put a lessor item in a box and sell it as a more expensive one. It amazed me that lots of the answers on the other thread said you would lose.

No wonder stores rip people off the customers don't understand what they are entitled to under the law. As for waivers and class that best buy may or may not have in a sale document many are not binding.

Here is an example of a not binding wavier you buy a car and buried in the fine print the dealer writes if you buy this car from me I get to

" f you in the rear once a month "

when you hand me the monthly payment. Not binding at least not in the USA!

21. radardude macrumors newbie

radardude

Best Buy ripped you off?

What you are asking is that Best Buy sell you a new computer at an open box price? Duh? I'd like that deal!!! Unfortunately that is not the real world. Open box price = open box merchandise, plain and simple. Seems to me that an honest mistake was made furthermore, you didn't check the merchandise knowing that it was used/opened. A lot of places sell that sort of stuff as is, you're lucky! They've offered you your money back, you might want to take it and look for another source to get an open box item.

Good luck, keep us informed.

22. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I think if I were the store manager, I would offer you a $100 gift card to make up for the difference. A store would way rather give you a gift card than cash. If that's an acceptable solution, then try asking for that instead of money off (which is cash to them). You might have more luck. :)

23. Spink10 thread starter macrumors 601

Spink10

STOP

Best Buy gave me a brand new 2011 iMac.

CLOSE THREAD - SEE NEW THREAD "Best Buy Quail Springs OKC OK MAKES IT RIGHT"