Best Buy & Radio Shack to sell iPhone? (USA)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by albeli, Jun 27, 2008.

1. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I just saw this article and don't think this info has been posted yet (I did a search).

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C15649/

This would be cool. I was at Best Buy a few days ago and asked if they'd be selling it, and the guy in the mobile phone section said he wasn't sure.

2. javadh macrumors member

3. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

They wont be... I remember reading it is exclusive to Apple stores and AT&T corporate owned locations.

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Would this mean that vendors and kiosks can sell them as well? The more the merrier. Hopefully it will keep lines down.

5. albeli thread starter macrumors 6502

albeli

Yep, that's what the official word has been re: the 3G.

If the rumor in this article is true, it would be nice. There's no Apple store where I live, and we have 3G coverage, so I've been a bit worried the AT&T stores will sell out. I'd like to have as good a chance as possible of getting one on July 11th.

I guess time will tell.

6. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

There will be plenty.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

8. walnuts macrumors 6502

There's no way- particularly with all this talk of mandatory in-store activation.

9. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

my local best buy has an at&t guy there who activates phones, so i dont see why they couldnt sell it there, it would save me along trip to apple

10. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Uhm ... both Radio Shack & Best Buy sell AT&T cell phones and activate phones and plans, so what makes the iPhone different?

11. walnuts macrumors 6502

You all are right...I didn't remember that both radio shack and best buy activate phones...who knows then?

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Uh, because of the way the iPhone works itself. Who cares if bestbuy and whoever activates phones. With the iPhone you do all the activating on iTunes. It really shouldn't change after this iPhone either. It's always going to be an AT&T / Apple exclusive deal. At least for another 4 years.

13. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

i think it will be at bestbuy because i was talking to a person who worked there he said "we dont carry iphones YET":):):):):):):apple::D;):p:eek::confused::eek:

14. albeli thread starter macrumors 6502

albeli

It's still going to be an Apple phone on the AT&T network--I don't see how getting my account set up at Best Buy changes that and affects the exclusivity.

Not all of us have Apple stores. From what I understand, ATT stores sold out last year. Right now my only options are the AT&T stores, which are 2 very small little mini-mall locations.

15. Hmac macrumors 68020

IIRC, activation of the 3G iPhone will be in-store only, and according to Apple and ATT, only at Apple or ATT retail outlets. No more do-it-yourself via iTunes and no more online purchase.

16. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Well then I would get your lawn chair ready. :p

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93