iPad mini Best Buy screwed up my order, but Apple saved the day

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eastercat, Dec 27, 2013.

1. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

As a holiday gift, my parents sent me the money to buy an iPad retina mini. Since I had a coupon from Best Buy, I placed an order on the 23rd with an estimated pick up date of 26 December.
    While I was at home on the 25th, I got an email from BB that I would not be able to pick up my iPad the next day. In fact, I'd have to wait two weeks. Talk about jerks. They couldn't be bothered telling me any sooner.

Luckily, Apple had what I wanted, it was in stock and I could pick it up on the 26th. Granted the location at Pioneer Place was busy as all out, but the staff were efficient and got my iPad to me minutes after I got there.

Love my iPad and typed this post on it too.

Tl;dr: buy your apple products from the apple store. Best Buy screwed me over.

2. fredylee macrumors member

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Apple has great customer service, in my personal experience. And that is why I deal directly with them, instead of places like Best Buy.

Glad Apple came through for you.

4. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I know that you can by the products at many different locations, but I always do enjoy the experience of buying at an apple store.

5. knguye11 macrumors newbie

knguye11

Brought my rmini from BB it took almost 60mim. Whereas I brought MacBook at Apple store took less than 10min.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

There fixed it for you.

Those guys screwed me out of the $199 iPad mini they had on sale during BF.

7. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I prefer to buy all my Apple products directly from Apple for a few reasons.
    1. Easy returns
    2. They have purchase information on file if I ever need service on the item
    3. Significantly better customer service. Both of my local Best Buys have poor customer service

8. blarivee macrumors 6502

Don't forget Best Buy scans your driver's license for returns, even if you have a valid receipt.

9. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

Always wondered what the purpose of this was? Do they limit you to a certain number of returns?

10. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Not in Canada. They just ask for your name and phone number and to sign something saying you deleted all your personal data.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yup, over a certain number of returns in a 3 month period and you will not be allowed to do returns for 60 days.

Yet another reason I'm glad I walked away from working at the GeekSquad for 2+ years.

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Trouble is some people live more than 2.5 hours from the nearest Apple Store.

13. illuminoraa macrumors newbie

I'm in this boat... Honestly though I've never had a negative experience at my local BB. Staff has always been helpful, got my iPad air launch day within five minutes no issues. I guess I'm just lucky!

14. EezyE macrumors regular

I envy you guys having Apple stores so close to where you live. The closest one to me is about an hour and a half away.

15. blarivee macrumors 6502

Yes as others have mentioned. Plus the database that stores this information is stored by a third party. So if another store uses the same database, that store will flag you and prohibit you from returning items.

16. eastercat thread starter macrumors 68040

eastercat

Damn, I thought it was bad that the downtown Apple store was a 30 minute max ride. The stores that have parking are about 45 minutes.
    Even if I had to have my iPad mailed, it still would've been faster than BB. That's pitiful, imnsho.
    Sucks that you live in the sticks. When I say sticks, I mean a place not big enough to be close to an apple store.

17. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I agree that it is a much better experience purchasing at Apple. My only plus for Best Buy is that they give much better trade ins than Apple and during a new product release you can usually get the product sooner than Apple. In NH with no sales tax, we compete with surrounding states that have sales tax.

Up until my most recent iPad purchase at Best Buy, I've been lucky with no problems. My last purchase was riddled with inept customer service people but was also at a different store (West Lebanon, NH) than I normally deal with. My good experiences have all been at the BB store in Concord, NH and I always seek out one specific woman who is very knowledgeable and good. I've been dealing with her for the last two years - hope she never leaves.

18. Brittany246, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I've never had a bad experience with Best Buy, but I know they limit returns. I couldn't get my iPad Air on launch day from Apple since I was in college and there were none near the hillbilly town I was living in, so I got it from Best Buy since it was relatively inexpensive. The only thing I've bought directly from Apple was my rMBP since it was a lot more expensive, and I didn't want to get screwed buying from Best Buy.