Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Best Buy selling Apple Products

MacGuy283

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2003
I was at Best Buy today and I saw one of the employees looking at an apple product guide and I asked him if they are gonna be carrying them and he said yup. They are going to start getting them in on monday but dosent go on the ad till later in the month. He said its in the chicagoland area only and only a few stores will be selling them for 3 months and they will see what happens then. Hopefully they have 0% for a year or something on them.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Best Buy selling Apple Products

More reports indicate that previous rumors of Apple sales at Best Buy will materialize soon.

BestBuy will utilize fulltime Apple Reps to provide sales support for Apple items. The current plan is to deploy this plan to a select number of Best Buys, so not every store will carry the Apple products initially.

While the official launch date remains in August, some stores may start to sell Apple items as early as Monday.

Comment

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Cool, maybe Bestbuy will lower prices on the mac? Or maybe not. I hope that they arnt like compusa. tommorow ima go to the bestbuy and ask if they are going to carry apples products...

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by applemacdude
Cool, maybe Bestbuy will lower prices on the mac? Or maybe not. I hope that they arnt like compusa. tommorow ima go to the bestbuy and ask if they are going to carry apples products...

Apple has pretty strict Minimum prices requirements of resellers. So, I don't think you're going to be seeing lower retail prices.

arn

Comment

pourhadi

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2003
Chicago Area

Cool, I live in the Chicagoland area and there is a Best Buy 3 minutes from my house.

Comment

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Re: Chicago Area

Originally posted by pourhadi
Cool, I live in the Chicagoland area and there is a Best Buy 3 minutes from my house.

Unlikely that the Chicagoland Best Buys will get Apple products first, seeing as there's two Apple stores, a Microcenter, and numerous CompUSA locations that sell Apple merchandise.

Comment

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I remember Best Buy and Sears both used to sell iMacs when they first came out, whatever happened to that? Is this any different?

Well, Apple let Best Buy manage the selling of Apple's products, which was a disaster. Even CompUSA managed to sell the iMac like hotcakes, but Best Buy managed to not make it sell well at all. Initially, they panicked and slashed the price to $999 for the original iMac, even though they weren't supposed to go the MSRP of $1299. Needless to say, it didn't work that well.

Here's to hoping that the CompUSA store within a store idea works out for Best Buy, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I hope it works better than CompUSA...when I go to the Apple section at the CompUSA in Jacksonville it basically goes as follows: "Uh...where is the Apple tech? I have a question" "Umm...I don't know, he should be there" "I've been waiting for him for 35 minutes, he's been paged 3 times, do you know where he could be?" "Uh...I don't know, what do you need? "I need help with a question on using this printer with OS X" "Um...I don't know...you should really ask the Apple tech guy that, he'd know" "I know, that's why I have been waiting for 40 minutes for him" "Oh...we'll page him then..."

Comment

MacGuy283

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2003
The best buy i went to is in the chicagoland area, dont wanna say the city would feel bad if anyone got in trouble, but its near an apple store and he said that they would be getting them in.

Comment

MacGuy283

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2003
Originally posted by cuneglasus
So what will they carry? The same out of date consumer items the Apple store has?:(

He said pretty much everything including software and acc, he didnt tell me exactlly what.

Comment

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Hopefully it will include the minneapolis area. Best Buy HQ is in Bloomington, MN (largest suburb), and Maple Grove (another suburb) where I am is the Best Buy test store for the area. They just recently remodled, setting up mini home theaters (couches and everything), plus the computer section was reorginized with more high end items (24-inch lcds, etc), on small round tables setup to demo systems and accessories. They even have a table setup for video editing demonstration.

Comment

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
so does anyone have a listing of candidate /pilot stores? I'd like to see their rollout plan, seeing as how this could cost quite a bit of $$ to implement, not to mention time to setup a store-within-a-store setup like CompUSA, if that's how they'll do it.

Comment

moshingkow

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
yess! ive been waiting for this for a long while.

the reason you ask?

price matching.
I bought my ipod at best buy and i brought with me the educational price lists (the pdfs) for the ipod from apples website and they matched it for me, so i got like 30 bucks off, and i had the opportunity to get theyre 4 year product replacement plan, which will let you upgrade to the better ipods when they are released.

so now im just gonna go to bestbuy and show them the newly cheapened price lists for the 12" g4 alumbook and get 200 bucks off, and get a 4 year service plan. (the only downside is tax, but you cant win em all...)

Comment

netboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2003
bethany, OK, USA
First time poster, w00t! :-D

Anyways, this idea of BestBuy selling Apple products is kinda cool. I mean, alot of the stuck up Windows people would never set foot in a Mac store of some kind, so maybe they might stumble across the Apple section at their local BestBuy while looking for the latest Windows product.

Also, maybe this will be the break us young Mac users need to get jobs selling the machines we love! I don't know what your feelings are, but CompUSA has really given me the shaft; I guess it's expected from them! :p

--/--
Netboy

Comment

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
what I'm hoping for more than anything is a mac software section. Right now the offerings for software off the shelf from anywhere near me is quite slim - usually cross-platform titles by companies nice enough to do that...

And not even Photoshop and Quark on the shelf (although that would be nice) but to have regular consumer-level mac apps for sale would be great. It would at least make my wife happy...

Comment

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
My CompUSA is wonderful. They've been good on a number of occasions in various ways. As an aside, I was once browsing Windows notebook computers. The rep came up, asked me what I did and what I needed the machine for, then suggested that I might be happier with an Apple notebook. This employee was *not* the store's Apple representative, so his appraisal was honest, not self-serving.

Needless to say, I went back to that same store when I was ready to buy.

elo

Comment

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Originally posted by Mudbug
so does anyone have a listing of candidate /pilot stores? I'd like to see their rollout plan, seeing as how this could cost quite a bit of $$ to implement, not to mention time to setup a store-within-a-store setup like CompUSA, if that's how they'll do it.

I hope our Best Buy (which will be open by September) is one of them.

Comment

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Originally posted by moshingkow
yess! ive been waiting for this for a long while.

the reason you ask?

price matching.
I bought my ipod at best buy and i brought with me the educational price lists (the pdfs) for the ipod from apples website and they matched it for me, so i got like 30 bucks off, and i had the opportunity to get theyre 4 year product replacement plan, which will let you upgrade to the better ipods when they are released.
I didn't know Best Buy matched online pricing. That's interesting. But yeah, I think this is a great idea. It's nice to think that Best Buy (which is, by the way, easily the largest electronics retailer in the country) will have not only Apple hardware, but Mac compatible software available soon. I wonder when (or if) the company wide rollout will occur, as there's a brand new Best Buy near my house and I'd love to be able to play with the new toys before I buy them. It really sucks having to drive three hours to the nearest Apple store, so this would be like a gift from heaven. :)

Comment

twinturbo

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
I love my CompUSA also. We have a great rep, and it's really neat to go over and play with the latest toys, especially since the closest Apple store is over in Tyson's Corner, VA, which is around 3 hours from here.

Comment

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
best buy will not be carrying everything. i highly doubt they will carry powermacs, they may carry powerbooks. i would take a look at the futureshops, probably a good example of what you will see at these.

iJon

Comment

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Hmmm interesting. I live in Minnesota.
Best Buy's corp HQ is about 2 minutes away from where I work. They have a Best Buy store right next door to it. One would think they would get preferential treatment.
HOWEVER. There are 2 apple stores not even 15 minutes away going east or west. (This store is smack dab in between the two.) So that begs the question who has auth to say which stores get their fruit fix? Best Buy or Apple?

PS- For those praising CompUSA. CompUSA sucks. Badly. I'm not kidding on this. I will NEVER walk into a CompUSA ever again. Give me a free iPod I still would never go into one again. IMNSHO they are the worst retail tech store chain that has ever existed. I've gone to two stores in my area. The CSR's ignore you unless you are dressed in a suit. (I kid you NOT on this I tried it out.) You CAN'T call them up to ask if your computer is ready to be picked up after being repaired because they don't answer the phone. (Both stores I let it ring for 5 minutes. Nothing.) It took me 3 months (Again NOT kidding.) to get my laptop repaired after they hassled me about it. You see CompUSA bought Computer City and the warrantee transferred to them. They gave me crap for close to 2 months before I got pissed enough to contact the district manager. When I got my laptop after 70+/- days they handed me it and guess what? The cover on the dang CD-ROM drive was missing! That took another few weeks to order another CD cover. Did they call me about it? Nope? I had to drive in and ask if it was there because they don't answer their phones. Guess what happened? They sent the part back because they didn't know where the part was suppose to be associated with. So they ended up taking a CD-ROM faceplate off of a floor model and attaching it to my laptop. To date the dang faceplate continues to fall off if I mess with it enough. I made one exception to not going into a CompUSA again. When looking at Macs I went into one. But that was before I found out there are 2 Apple stores in my area so I guess I no longer have ANY excuse to go into one again. Ahh that was therapeutic. :D Sorry for the rant. :eek:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.