Best Buy, should I be mad at you, or myself? Was given wrong gen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TimothyB, Mar 17, 2012.

1. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

After work today I went to a local best buy to get a new ipad. I decided on a white 32 gigabyte wifi. The best buy employee that was helping me pulled the ipad out from the back along with another 1 for another person he was helping. He held onto it while I tried to figure out what case I wanted to buy.

When I was ready to buy I had to wait 10 minutes for my turn. We had to switch registers when my $50 gift card for upgrading my phone there didn't work. Then they tell me this gift card was meant to only be used towards the new phone, not other purchases, but they got it to work. It was late, and I didn't care about the total. With case, taxes, 50 gift card, total was 545. I was originally planning on a 16gb and had the 499 price stuck in my head, so it didn't click in the price was lower than expected for a new 32gb.

Never holding the box, and my case covering it on the counter, it was bagged up and I signed. I get home, look at box, simply says iPad. Opened it, said simply ipad on back. Powered it up, noticed the low resolution screen. Double checked the box, really small on barcode sticker, it says iPad 2.

DOH!!!!!

Looks at receipt, says just iPad 32 white wifi. But I then noticed the price was 499 and not 599.

The employee new I was there for the third gen iPad, but he grabbed the wrong one, we both failed to notice it. I just hope he didn't sell the wrong gen to other older customers that may never notice. I'm surprised the box for iPad 2 didn't actually say iPad 2 except for the smallest font on the sticker.

Looks like I'll have to make a visit there early Saturday :(

Anyone else nearly given the old ipad?

2. Cembandit macrumors newbie

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Pic on the front is different...... Blue screen on the iPad. Me thinks you thought you were getting over with the price so didn't want to make a stink about it and you got hosed. If that's not the case then sorry.

Easy fix.... take it back and swap it for a 3. If you did at least get over on the price (assuming they didn't discount them because of i3) sell it and put that money towards your new i3. Good luck.;)

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Wow that just blows!! I think the BB employee didn't do this deliberately, and was simply an overlook being that the iPad 2 and iPad 3rd Gen look so much alike.

However, yes, he should've made sure and the lower price should've been a flag too. However, mistakes happen. Just go and exchange it tomorrow.

5. TimothyB, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

:) Well yes, you better believe I'm exchanging it for the 3rd gen 32gb model.

There was an older couple that bought a 64gb from this same high school employee just before me. I hope he didn't sell the wrong one to them the way he did to me. They may never notice. The employee may of read the spec on the bar code too fast and not noticed it was the ipad 2, and relied on the box that just said iPad, plus on the register and receipt it omits the 2 from the name.

I'm not actually mad., and want to be as discrete as I can as I don't want the employee to get in trouble. He was nice and patient with me as I took forever deciding a case.

Usually when the price is too high, a flag goes off in my head. I guess that doesn't happen when the price is lower than expected.

6. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

Of course it's your fault. Why wouldn't you make sure you're getting what you're paying for?

7. pdawg macrumors regular

No different than going to the local fast food and walking out with the incorrect order b/c you did not check. Both at fault. Easily fixed. Lesson learned.