Best Buy to honor Back-to-School sale?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rdees12, May 8, 2011.

1. rdees12 macrumors member

I just returned from our local Best Buy and came across an ex-student of mine who happened to work there. When he saw me trying out the new iMacs he asked me if I was going to buy one. I told him that I was but I'd probably go through the Apple online store since, beginning in a few weeks (hopefully), they'll be offering the back-to-school special with the free iPod Touch and discounted computers (usually $100 or so). I asked him if Best Buy would match the deal and he told me they would. That would save me the shipping time but I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about. Has anyone else had any luck with Best Buy (or any other chain) matching the Apple online deal?

2. AppleLou macrumors newbie

Good stuff.. I've been waiting for confirmation on the student offer for a few days.

Guess I wont be buying my mac tomorrow!

3. 2ndname macrumors member

Might just be that bb but all of the ones in my area will not match any of the educational deals since they would have to take the discount out of their own pockets. Apple will not reimburse bb in any way. Unsure if they were bsing me but that was the answer I got every time I asked.

4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Never bought an Apple from Best Buy, however I think you can get them to honor the educational discount as one employee told me.

You go to the Best Buy and get to one of their computers that has online access. Go to the Apple Store and get on the Education Store site.

This way the Education Prices will be showing.

Get the Best Buy clerk to see the pricing that Apple is selling them for online, and ask if they will match the price. I believe they will, as in the past I have gotten them to match prices for other products by showing competitors web sites.

Never bought an Apple from them though as I prefer the Apple Store.

As to the Back To School Special - I think, and you have to check with Apple on this that if you buy a Computer and iPod Touch from Best Buy at the same time so both items are on one receipt that Apple would honor the rebate program. Again you need to check with Apple on that.

5. silentbob007 macrumors regular

At least in my experience, BB has been flaky on honoring this ... some would, some wouldn't. I was going to hold out, but realized I didn't need an iPod and didn't want to hassle with listing it on eBay or Craig's List.