Best Buy Trade-in: Data Wipe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jipajappa, Jun 28, 2013.

1. jipajappa macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just traded in my iPhone 4 to best buy and I'm kind of freaking out because I realized that I stupidly did not delete my data from the phone. Does anyone know what process they go through to wipe the phone? (i.e. will some Best Buy employee or whoever they sell the refurbished phone to be able to access my data?). Any help would be appreciated.

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

We're talking about Best Buy here, so who knows what might happen. If your phone wasn't password protected then theoretically, yes, they'll have access to all your data. Shame on you for being so careless.

3. jipajappa thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything I can do at this point to ensure that my data is wiped? (Long shot, I know).

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Remote wipe? Go back to the store and let them know your situation and wipe it there?

5. walie macrumors 6502a

Up here in Canada, store policy is that the phone HAS to be wiped. We actually have to wipe it ourselves and show the customer that the phone is wiped. Then we sign off on it. If we don't and it ends up back at the processing place not wiped, we get in deep dodo

6. jipajappa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Anyone know if this is the policy everywhere?

7. ucfgrad93, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would change all of your passwords immediately.

8. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

When i sold mine to BB i had iOS7 on it and had trouble wiping it. i WOULD NOT LEAVE the store till is was wiped. Only thing that worked was logging into iCloud and doing a remote wipe. The BB guy even said "yea man, id wipe mine too before ever turing it in."

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Even if it is I wouldn't rely on policy. Try reading up on BB (and even other companies -- even Apple) employees that swipe customer data.

10. fasteddy2020 macrumors newbie

Best Buy policy is to wipe it. They set it to reset and handed it back to me to hit the button. The sales guy told me they have to do it or they get in trouble. Whether or not they actually do outside of my situation, I do not know, but mine was.

11. rockitdog macrumors 68020

They probably wiped it... after they went through everything and had some fun at your expense!

12. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

When we traded my wife's in the employee had me wipe it right after we got the new phone activated and her data on the new phone from iCloud. He made sure the process was complete before he took it for good.

Have you tried calling the store?

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Seriously.

No offense OP, but first thing you should have done upon realizing you didn't wipe the phone was go straight to the store and talk to the person you turned your phone in to in order to get the phone back and verify it was wiped.

14. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

You still have not answered the question...did you have the passcode on?