Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Just had to post this. It's really exciting! :D

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-956305.html?tag=fd_top

iPod to reach the masses

By Joe Wilcox
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
September 3, 2002, 8:16 AM PT

Best Buy will begin selling Apple Computer's iPod later this month, in a move that analysts say could be instrumental in igniting sales of the digital music player.

Starting Sept. 15, Best Buy will carry two Windows models and a Mac iPod in more than 500 retail stores, adding to the 35 Apple retail stores and 225 CompUSAs selling the digital music player.

The move comes soon after the first Windows-compatible iPods started selling at Apple retail stores, CompUSAs and independent Mac dealers.

In October, Apple unveiled the iPod, a shirt-pocket-sized digital music player built around a 5GB hard drive. The company unveiled in March a 10GB iPod with a 2,000-song capacity. Neither model would sync with Windows PCs because Apple's iTunes software works only with Macs.

Apple unveiled a Windows version of iPod in July, but the company only started selling the new models at the end of August. Instead of releasing a Windows version of its iTunes digital music software, Apple released separate Windows iPod models with syncing software from MusicMatch.

Opening up sales channels for the Windows version of iPod could be very important for Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple.

"That's sensational news," Needham analyst Charles Wolf said. "I'm predicting that in the (fourth calendar) quarter, Apple will sell a half million units, assuming consumers keep spending. To put that in perspective, a year earlier the Mac community bought 125,000 units. Best Buy is hugely important because of their presence and electronics. It is one of the main places people go to buy digital music players.

Wolf made his predictions largely based on the huge impact the release of a Windows iPod could have on sales.

"IDC estimates 12 million shipments worldwide of portable music player shipments this year and 25 million next year," Wolf said. "At the current price points, based on my assessments, Apple could acquire 15 percent or 20 percent of the market, somewhere in that neighborhood."

Apple is openly enthusiastic about the move into Best Buy stores.

"We're thrilled to be working with Best Buy to bring the iPod to even more customers," Tim Cook, Apple's executive vice president of worldwide sales, said in a statement.

Before Apple released the Windows iPod, many Windows users looked to third-party software for syncing with the digital music player. In late June, for example, MediaFour released XPlay, Windows software for syncing with the Mac iPod. Earlier in June, software developers TrentSoft and DataViz released syncing software with similar capabilities.

Even Linux users are joining the iPod foray. In July, for example, San Francisco-based Tex9 released a beta, or testing, version of a iPod plug-in for its Xtunes player. On Monday, Tex9, changed the name of Xtunes to Sumi at the request of Apple.

Best Buy will carry the 5GB and 10GB Windows iPods, for $299 and $499, respectively. The retailer also will sell the 10GB Mac iPod for $399.

"By adding Apple's iPod to our portable MP3 player selection, we're providing a new level of style and usability that's a perfect fit for Best Buy's techno-savvy shoppers," said Mike London, the company's executive vice president.

The sales arrangement with Best Buy marks Apple's return to the Minneapolis-based retailer. In February 1998, Apple exited sales arrangements with Best Buy, Computer City, Office Max and other retailers.

Analysts did note that the sales arrangement, while good for iPod, is not an indication that Apple plans to expand the number of major retailers carrying Mac computers. Looking to Apple's failed relationship with retailers and the Apple's own expanding store strategy, the deal with Best Buy is likely a cautious move designed solely to increase the sales of one potentially popular product.

Apple has had mixed success selling in retail stores that carry Windows products, say analysts. So far, only at CompUSA shops, where there is an Apple store within the store, has the Mac maker had any real success. In February, Apple stopped selling Macs at Circuit City, ending an arrangement made in July 2000. In March 2001, Apple pulled out of Sears, which had been selling the original iMac.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2002
Not another Circuit City!

Originally posted by beez7777
maybe this will lead to best buy selling apple computers. that would be nice:D
I hope not. Selling Apple computers is a somewhat high maintenance activity: it requires keeping the Macs well presented and at their best. When faced with cheap commodity boxes available at places like BestBuy, consumers will not choose Apple unless it is well presented. Based upon the experience at places like Circuit City, I wouldn't expect that to happen. Apple is just fine selling its wares at the Apple Store and the CompUSA store within a store.

The cross-platform iPod, however, should go over very well.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by beez7777
maybe this will lead to best buy selling apple computers. that would be nice:D
Best buy did sell Macs a few years ago.

failed miserably.

arn

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
selling ipods

god this is terrible and good. this will really hurt us independent apple reseller owners. the ipods isnt that bad though. i think this is a bad move for apple, i think best buy people dont know anything. i just pray they dont start selling macs, which i highly doubt they willl because they have put so much money in the apple stores. i think they are just selling the ipods at best buy because you dont have to know alot about computers to use one and it will draw curiosity towards apple.

iJon

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
This is definitely good news. All my PC friends love my iPod, and they said "Boy, wish I could get one." It's pretty cool now that I can say "You can."

PC users who hate the Mac but get an iPod. Haha! We'll convert them yet. :p

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
I have very bad experiences with best buy's customer service. Many problems with returns, exchanges and refunds. I have heard from employees also that they really dont care about their customers.

But the ipod will get more sales and that's great for apple. 500 stores all over the country will transale into big exposure and hopefully big sales.

I'm trying to get a 20 gig ipod and sell my 5g. But I will go to the apple store, because i know if something goes wrong best buy will make it a nightmare to solve the problem.

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
This is great news for Apple, but I will buy mine from a local Mac dealer to support the small guy.

I have lately had unnatural urges to buy a iPod...hmmmm

This is good in the sense that it will give apple more exporsure to the masses. In a way this is good for the small Apple retalier because if somone buys the iPod at Best Buy they might want to buy more Apple stuff so they go to the small guy to get a computer cause Best Buy does not carry them, its a win-win situation!

I can't wait to see more people with iPods!

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
This is what we've been talking about all along, right? A way to get Apple more exposure and introduce PC-heads to the quality of Apple products. Our Trojan Horse.

Not only that, adding Best Buy gives Apple 750 retail outlets to peddle the iPod for the Xmas shopping season. Could be a major boon for the bottom line. Purely tossing around some numbers here, but if each store sold 10 ipods a day, that's 600 per store per quarter, or 450,000 overall; at an average of $350 a piece, that's $157,500,000 in revenues. Not bad for a little gadget.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
you guys are right.

i think good will come from this, as long as best buy doenst start selling computers, but apple probably wont let them do that, god i hope not. there isnt much profit with the ipods at a reseller anyways, but it will be good for apple so not really bad for us resellers. but if there is a independent reseller in your area (like here in fayetteville arkansas where i live) buy it there, you will get more customer support while the robots at best buy wont even give a care about you. later

iJon

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
"Best Buy will carry the 5GB and 10GB Windows iPods, for $299 and $499, respectively. The retailer also will sell the 10GB Mac iPod for $399."
Can some one explain this quote for me?
Do we get a discount for being a Mac user? The iPods aren’t made different just the software that comes with it, so why the odd pricing?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
typo

i think that was a type. if i remember right they will carry all the windows ipods at the regualr price and only carry the mac 10 gig at the regular price. correct me if i am wrong.

iJon

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
September 15th has come and gone

At my local Best Buy store located conveniently right down the street from me, the not-so friendly salesperson in the personal audio section of the store couldn't very well spell iPod, much less let me know when they might be selling them. I know the is MacRUMORS, but I thought that the previously mentioned article had a date of 9/15 for selling these both in the stores and on the web. I can't find them either place.

Are we talking about the same Best Buy?

And for the record, Circuit City is just as bad as far as selection and quality/price as Best Buy, but since they're on commission, at least they'll talk to you.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
I think this is great for Apple as long as the salespeople are trained as to what the iPod actually is and can do. Best Buy is good as long as you know exactly what you're looking for and it's not a computer.:D

P.S Best Buy won't sell Macs again, they are a dump and move sort of store.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I doubt any of the "big chain" electronics stores (best buy, circuit city) will try to sell macs again any time soon, but selling the iPod is a good idea and hopefully those stores will start to stock more Apple accesories at least and software, I have exactaly zero small buisness mac stores in my area so I have to do my buisness either online or do some travelling so this would be great....

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by Total OS X
I doubt any of the "big chain" electronics stores (best buy, circuit city) will try to sell macs again any time soon, but selling the iPod is a good idea and hopefully those stores will start to stock more Apple accesories at least and software, I have exactaly zero small buisness mac stores in my area so I have to do my buisness either online or do some travelling so this would be great....
I have to agree - Best Buy and Circuit City ARE my options here, save for Shreve Systems, which sells refurbished and old stuff only (they advertise in MacWorld and other pubs). So when these two retail monsters carry mac stuff, that makes me really happy. But I don't think selling full systems will be an option for either of them anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.