Best carrier for no-contract prepaid for iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seasurfer, Nov 11, 2011.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I am thinking about buying the unlocked iPhone 4S. I live in NYC, anyone know which is the best carrier to use? Thanks.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The unlocked iPhone only works on GSM networks. I'd say that AT&T is your best bet. T-Mobile doesn't have 3G. Unless you specifically need an unlocked phone, I'd just buy the phone through AT&T for $199/$299/$399. You also might as well just go with Verizon who unlocks phones for international use and buy the iPhone through them.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I did not know that AT&T does no contract iPhone plans.

From what I understand even if you own your own GSM iPhone AT&T is going to want a minimum 1 year contract.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Try H20 Wireless, which has a $60/month "unlimited" no-contract plan with unlimited talk and text, and 3GB data. It is an MVNO that operates on AT&T's network. You can get it at Best Buy.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You don't enter a contract if you bring your own device. You pay the same rate as someone who is in a contract though.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, or you can even use any AT&T prepaid sims.

7. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I asked an AT&T rep last week, he said I can't use 3G on the pre-paid plan for iPhone 4S. I am not sure if he is saying the truth?

Prepaid is cheaper in the long run. It saves you quite a lot of money and you are not bound to contract.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He probably meant 3G carrier data?
    I believe the prepaid plans only include texts and minutes and they do have a small data package but that's expensive and very little.

9. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just looked at their website, looks attractive. If I go with this plan I can save at least $30 per month...

Anyone tried H2O before? How is their network and quality like?

10. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Why not just use AT&T? You don't have to sign a contract so you can cancel whenever you want... I did that for a while on a 3GS I bought off craigslist.

11. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would like to use AT&T if I can, but the problem is does the go-phone plan support the iPhone 4S? I don't find any such information on AT&T website. If you know any please let me know. Thanks. :p

12. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Why would you buy an unlocked iPhone, put an AT&T sim card in it, and have the 2-year contract?

Buy a locked iPhone for $200
    Or an unlocked with AT&T sim and 2-year for $650

13. chillhase macrumors member

or an unlocked with at&t sim and no contract but 50$plan instead of 80$...

14. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

i am interested in this.

strighttalk is from t-mobile infrastructure right?

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can't use the iPhone with data on the AT&T prepaid plan. Voice works with no problems. T-Mobile works with both data and voice, albeit there is no 3G.

16. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Straight Talk
    Unlimited talk, text, data for $45 a month.

17. MDTyKe macrumors regular

Does the Verizon iPhone allow the AT&T piggyback carriers like H2O?

18. fingernagel macrumors member

Why doesn't any of this carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Straight Talk, H2O) announce their services with the iPhone 4s? Why people say that some carriers won't allow to use the unlimited data with the iphone 4s? Why can't this be a little easier to get just a ********** prepaid plan with this new awesome phone???

19. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

From what I've heard - AT&T limits data rates to MVNO's - there are a few large threads on HowardForums discussing this.

From what I can tell Straight Talk is the best - but you have to buy a throw away E71 for $100 in order to use their service as they don't offer just sims.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

See the threads on unlocking. Even when unlocked the VZW iPhone does not support domestic GSM carriers.

21. katinvegas macrumors newbie

I am looking at getting a iphone and switching to H2O. A few people I work with have this and they are only paying 60 a month for unlimited text, data and talk. I have used their phones playing around with them to see how the service works and it seems just fine and it would be over $40 less a month.

22. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I calculated. It looks like Straight Talk offers the best money value. Anyone here used or have friends using Straight Talk? How is their service?

23. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I don't know anyone using it with iPhone, but I know several people who are very happy with Straight Talk in general. Haven't heard any complaints.

24. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just tested the $50 unlimited everything T-mobile plan on my new unlocked iPhone 4s. The EDGE speed is horrible.

I am going to try straight talk...