Best case for iPhone 4S? (Yes, another of those, I am sorry :))

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ravenvii, Sep 19, 2013.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

So my iPhone 4S is going out of warranty in less than a month. I plan to hang on to the thing for another year at least.

Up 'til now I have been using it naked. However, I think it's time I invest in a case.

I hate those snap-on cases -- the act of putting my iPhone into and out of the case always cause me endless anxiety.

I don't want one of those "drop it 1,000 feet and pick it up once you get to the ground!" cases from Otterbox or the such.

Just a thin, attractive case that protects from scratches, that's all.

Any recommendations?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I love the look of the Incipio.

I have this one snap-on case that I tried. It scratched up the right edge of my iPhone while snapping on. And then a fresh set of scratches when prying it out. It's better to not use that stupid thing in the first place!

4. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

http://www.amazon.com/elago-Slim-iPhone-Feeling-Indigo/dp/B0079VP5JY/ref=pd_sim_cps_4
    This according to me is one of the best cases i have used. Especially in the slim category. The feel and color is just too good for a 10 dollar case. It has that soft matte finish which looks really rich. I purchased it for my 4s in november and someone was ready to pay me 10 bucks to tell him where i got it from :p. It goes really nice with a white iphone.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

If you buy the Incipio Feather be aware of a couple things.

The textured coating is susceptible to something in sunscreen; if you have sunscreen on your fingers and touch the Feather, the coating will crinkle and come off in that spot later on. Has also happened on my ipad Feather case.

Also, plan on replacing it in a year. My 4S's Feather started having corner cracks and so forth a couple months ago and essentially disintegrated. Not too surprising given it's thin plastic, but buy it knowing it'll happen.

BTW - mine was a 100% genuine Incipio case shipped from Incipio, not one of the knockoff counterfeit ones that show up on Amazon and eBay.

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Since you have it, here's a question: what is it like snapping it onto the iPhone? Are the edges softened so that it wouldn't scratch the edge of the iPhone as it's being snapped on (and off)?

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I actually threw the last remainders of it away 2-3 weeks ago after the side broke off. :D

Seemed like there was a little bit of coating on the inside edges; in any event I don't have any detectable scratches on the sides of my 4S.

On the other hand, I very rarely removed the shell. I did install a static-cling type protective film on the back glass to help prevent abrasion if any dust got in between there (just something cheap from ebay since it'd be hidden).