Best Charity?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, May 8, 2015.

1. Huntn, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My wife has a closet full of clothes we are slowly giving away to charity. However, my impression is that places like Goodwill, sell their stuff at thrift shop prices, not really what our concept of charity is, "giving". Goodwill is selling, however according to them...

(link)

Then I read this: Truth About Donated Clothes.

The Afterlife of Cheap Clothing @slate.com.

The answer is not necessarily clear. So in the spectrum of charitable organizations, what do you think is the best, doing the most good?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd say the Clinton Foundation would be a good place to start. :p

But seriously, if Goodwill isn't to your liking I would try a church, local rescue mission, Salvation Army, etc.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Are there any local shelters that accept in kind donations?

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm researching that. :)

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Many churches have "clothes closets" where they accept donated clothing and let less homeless or otherwise low income people come in and get what they want/need for free. If you want to see them actually go directly to good use, this is probably your best option.

BTW, with regard to the above article about the ultimate fate of many "charity clothes"-my dad goes to Ghana about once a year. He goes to install water purifiers, but always also takes a suitcase stuffed full of clothes with the sole intention of giving them away. He even gives away the suitcase(something else in high demand) when it's all said and done. He spends a lot of time at yardsales and places like that shopping for things he can take. What he does is a drop in the bucket, but if you can find someone doing something similar you might consider giving some to them.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'd look for a local charity like a teen pregnancy center, homeless shelter, domestic violence support, etc. that provides clothes to those in need.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah I think looking at local churches or other local charities will be your best bet.

Even that isn't necessarily good as giving away free clothes can hurt the people who are currently selling the used clothes, and put them back into poverty since all the people who were buying from them now have free clothes so why would they want to buy them? Or the clothes get sold by the people who got them, and since they got them for free they can go with lower prices and undercut the local people who have built an otherwise sustainable business.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Right now Helping Hands is a prime contender.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This. There's really no two ways about it. Sure, I don't agree with all of their political beliefs, but they are the most efficient in terms of cents per dollar put to charity.

10. A.Goldberg, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

83% isn't terrible for a charity, though Charity Navigator says 93.8% of their services are spent on the services they deliver (an impressive number). Profiting off charity in my opinion is unethical. A competitive living wage for the CEO fine, otherwise it may be hard to find a good company leader, but millions is a bit ridiculous. I know someone who interned at GW's corporate office and they weren't impressed with how the company was run, but that is just one opinion.

By comparison the head of the Salvation Army earns about $130,000, which I believe is a fair living wage for a CEO. I don't necessarily agree with all of their religious/political standpoints (regarding abortion and homosexuality). I'm not sure how much those viewpoints actually affect their giving though. I didn't they would or could discriminate their funding according to those controversial issues.

If you can find a local charity or religious institution you care to support (or even someone you know in need), that might be your best option. I know my mom's hospital used to collect old kids clothes and school supplies from the employees to support some of the underprivileged employees (particularly single mothers working menial jobs). The unused clothing, etc, was then donated to other charities.

Growing up a lot of my old and outgrown clothes went to my cousin's cousin (dad's brother's wife's son...?) who is about 2 years younger than me. His family is very poor, his mom has suffered from long term mental health issues. His father is poorly educated and just simply unsuccessful. Sending him a bunch of clothes every once and a while I imagine takes a small part of the burden off of affording growing children.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Salvation army and my local church. I believe the Salvation army does more with the donations and is not guilty of lining the pockets of some executives. Plus I do agree with the message they have and like to help out where I can.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am used to stuffing the red bucket at Christmas. Salvation Army is a contender. :)

Are you referencing Salvation Army?

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Oh sorry. The bolder refers to Goodwill. Despite their somewhat poor public image in some people'a eyes, their numbers and figures suggest they are a decent charity. Charity Navigator does not report on the Salvation Army because the way they file their taxes is as a Church, not as a charity. I guess Churches do not have to report as much or the same information as charities/non-profits.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Hmm... Thanks. As churchs have politicized themselves, they no longer deserve tax exemp status, IMO.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I agree with this in principle, but I would understand why you wouldn't want the money given to Salvation Army to be taxed. There's no reason the government should be taking money geared for charity unless they tax the money that doesn't make it to charity.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm sorry, that was a comment better suited for PRSI. I'll let it go.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Charity Navigator is fantastic, though, honestly. Take a look at some of the lists. My favorite is "Highest Paid CEOs to lowest rated charities".

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

It's amazing how how many charities there are!

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I donate to Planned Parenthood, but under one condition: that 100% of my money is used exclusively to pay for abortions. :D:D:D

20. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

My wife and I donate all our used clothes to the Diabetes Society or Cerebral Palsy Foundation. They sell the clothing and then put the funds toward research of the diseases they represent. They pick it up at our home. When they call they will let you know when they are in your area and let you know what to do for the pickup. We think it is awesome and have donated many a time as our children have outgrown things or my wife & I no longer wear it.