Best cheap wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

My girlfriend just got a new apartment. She is going back to school and is on a tight budget. Not sure she wants to invest in fios or comcast for Internet. She will use it for her iphone and also for her laptop.

Does anyone have experience with cheaper Internet services? How is dsl and is it fast enough/reliable?

Just looking for alternatives.

Thanks.

2. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Internet and WiFi are two different things. Your internet or connection is what comes into your house though your Satellite, cable or Phone line. Your modem gets this signal, then it is connected to your wifi router to send out a wireless signal, and there are over 1000 types of routers out there.

So are you looking for a WiFi router or actual internet service provider :confused:

As far as it goes, you could get a cheap WiFi router like this if she is only using it for a laptop/iPhone.

If you want really cheap WiFi, head over to McDonalds :p

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It depends where you live.
    Shop around and look for prices.
    DSL believe it or not is pretty quick. You can get 5-7mbps down with it but I think you need a phone line with it.
    Or you can use one of those wireless 3G hotspots that you can bring with you anywhere to connect any wifi devices you have.

4. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I'm asking more about the ISP.

She can get dsl and then use a wireless router, right?

Dsl seems to be cheaper. Is it faster than 3G speeds?

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Depends how far you are from the local eXchange, and the quality of the "copper."

DSL tend to the cheaper but slower and cable tend to be more expensive but faster and sometimes they force you to get a cable bundle, no Internet only.

ISP will sell you a modem/wireless router combo. U can attempt to purchase your own but can be an hassle.

Depends on provider.

if your place is serviced by AT&T U-verse, u can order DSL only.

If multiple users, probably cheaper/less hassle to go traditional cable/dsl, then split cost with roomates.

If sole user, low usage, and on a tight budget, can always tether off your smartphone.

6. TheProFTW macrumors regular

I've FiOS since about half a year, service is great and the speeds are awesome, 50mbps for the same price that comcast charges for 10mbps.

A friend of mine has DSL and it has been slower than 3g for him, and atleast 10 hours of downtime per week.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True that.
    So many choices, it all varies by location too.