Best cost saving effort by a republican today, Jason Chaffetz not running in 2018

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JayMysterio, Apr 19, 2017.

1. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/us/politics/jason-chaffetz-congress-utah-house-oversight.html

This hypocrite has burned thru more taxpayer money on politically motivated investigations ( and has more on the way http://www.sltrib.com/home/4885163-155/story.html ), couldn't have happened soon enough.

2. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

"Politically motivated investigations" — ridiculous. Should Congress have no oversight role at all?

3. 0007776 Suspended

They are welcome to have an oversight role, but when you have multiple investigations into the same incident that all turn up nothing, and your investigations only focus on the opposite party it looks suspiciously like political motivation.

4. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Except that the reason those investigations "turned up nothing" is the unlawful stonewalling, slow-rolling, and destruction of evidence by the agencies and persons Chaffetz was investigating, you might be on to something.

5. 0007776 Suspended

Keep telling yourself that, while the rest of the world ignores those conspiracy theories and accepts the reality that nothing was found because there was nothing to find.

6. Zenithal macrumors 603

7. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Oversight is a necessary thing.

Politically motivated investigations are another thing.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Eh...I'm sure there will be someone else to waste money there. There always is. And certainly Trump is doing his part with his frequent trips to Florida.

9. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

The complaining about Trump's trips to Florida is getting old. It's faux outrage -- nobody really cares, especially since most members of Congress do the same thing... their travel back to their districts is paid for by the taxpayers, in addition to other benefits like franking privileges (use of the US mail) and staff. The new darling of the left Maxine Waters (D-CA) unapologetically flies home to her district EVERY WEEKEND. That's a 6000 mile round trip on the taxpayer dime. If you want to be outraged, where's your outrage about that?

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Members of congress have to fly back to their district. Trump PROMISED while campaigning that he would never see his golf courses again. He's there every weekend. Its not faux outrage at all. It's just another example of how trump lies all the time.

11. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

First, that's not what he said. He never said he was swearing off golf. He said he would use golf as a way to do business:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/politics/trump-golf-obama/

Many people in executive positions play golf with clients, colleagues, and customers. I do so myself. It's an age-old way of establishing personal relationships with these people to strengthen your business and get things done on a personal level. I'm not surprised a lot of millennials and other tech types don't know this since all they do is online meetings these days.... :rolleyes:

Second, the whole outrage of Trump's trips to Florida have always centered around costs. Certainly MadeTheSwitch has been saying so since Trump was inaugurated. But my point is that many members of government have their trips paid for by the taxpayer. Trump is no different. Why no outrage at Maxine Waters for flying 6000 miles every weekend at taxpayer expense? If Waters wants to do her congressional business in LA, fine with me. If Trump wants to do his presidential business at Mar-a-Lago in Florida, that's fine too. My point is that if you are going to be outraged at Trump going to Florida at taxpayer expense, you should also be outraged at your congressman going home at taxpayer expense. Frankly, I'm not outraged at either.

On a lighter note, what I want to know is what the staff at Camp David are doing? They probably feel left out, or like the Maytag Repair Man. :D

12. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

https://mic.com/articles/172212/tru...again-if-he-were-elected-president#.xpbJb0r2W

The video of 45 saying he wouldn't see his golf courses is embedded there.

The point about Waters is she is traveling back home, and supposedly seeing constituents. She's flying on taxpayers dime, to see taxpayers. Now if you can show the reports of her doing golfing on those weekends ( which I suppose I could also claim 'she's doing business' ), then maybe you'd have something. The outrage with 45 though is literally based on his own words, no one else.

13. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

You and others take unimportant things like this too literally and too seriously. I suggest you take a step back else you're going to have a breakdown soon, especially if Kennedy retires from SCOTUS as it is rumored he will.

I'm not going to parse the video but I don't think it says what you think it says about Trump and golf. Look, Trump flies down to Florida to conduct business and meet with people (including taxpayers!) in an environment that he's comfortable in. Waters flies back to South Central LA so she can meet with her homies in da hood. Taxpayers pay for both trips. Fine, whatever....

14. AsherN macrumors 6502

Members of Congress work for their constituents. Hence, they need to go back to their districts. They never said they'd not leave DC because their was so much work to be done. They may fly on the taxpayer's dime, but they fly commercial, without the travelling circus. And their flying back home does not involve costs for their destination and loss of revenue for businesses at their destination.
    They also don't use those trips to bill taxpayers for the use of their own facilities.

15. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Got it! 46 seconds of 45 saying what you said he didn't say is to much for you. Noted, and will keep that in consideration for any future points made by you.

16. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

It's all hypocrisy anyway. If it was the other way around they'd be calling for Hillary's head on a platter.

17. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Nice try, but again, that's not saying what you think it's saying or what you want it to say. So your spin, comprehension, and comments are noted as mitigating factors on the credibility of your postings.

Bottom line is that sane people don't care about this, it's just fodder for unhinged liberals. But do keep posting about it, your posts make great comedy.

18. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Nice try, but again, that's not saying what you think it's saying or what you want it to say. So your spin, comprehension, and comments are noted as mitigating factors on the credibility of your postings.

Bottom line is that you don't care about this, it's just fodder for anyone not drinking the kool aid. But do keep posting about it, your posts make great comedy.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So tell me, is Joni Ernst unhinged or a liberal when she says this:

Ernst criticizes Trump's Mar-a-Lago visits
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/19/ernst-criticizes-trumps-mar-lago-visits.html

I look forward to your reply.

20. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

21. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Honestly we'd probably be a lot better off and safer if Trump spent his entire presidency on vacation.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Who said anything about impeachment? Now you are moving the goalpost in yet another desperate attempt to avoid confronting this issue. You can't claim that this is an issue that only liberals care about when I provide direct evidence to the contrary.

So again, was Ernst unhinged, insane, or a liberal?

Also, about that sane thing, I take great issue with that as per your own postings referring to my words on this subject, you know that I care about this issue a great deal. So basically you are calling me insane for caring about the amount of money that this president is wasting on his near weekly golf trips to Florida.

I have a problem with that on several levels. First, the personal attack lobbed my direction, but secondly, the notion that trying to contain cost is all of a sudden now something insane. That's funny, because Republicans have been screaming about containing cost for decades. Of course they don't actually do it when in power as Trump himself illustrates so well.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening. We pointed out another lie by trump, you said we were wrong, we proved ourselves right and you just can't admit it. Sad!

24. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Chaffetz is one of those team win at any cost sleaze bags, good riddance.

Maybe you missed the point, political connotates politics, for political advantage among other things to slander and prevent the election of a candidate for President, (yay, your side won, but oops Trump took it) not serious neutral investigations. How much money do you approve of being wasted so your side can win, unlimited?

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What....what in god's name is wrong with you? That's just vile beyond the pale.