Best display < 350€ / 500$ for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by carlosgavina, Aug 24, 2009.

1. carlosgavina macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I really need some advice in the displays department, most of my budget was spent in the Mac Pro, and I will spent a bit less on the display, and then when I become rich, I buy a real pro display :rolleyes:

So for less than 500 dollars (350€) which display do you recommend?

Most work I do is, web design, graphic design, video editing, photography and some 3D (not much), I was thinking display a from 22" to 24" with at least 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 resolution :D

The Samsung 23-inch SM2343BW (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-23-...-20000/dp/B001ILME90/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) seems nice, any comments? :)

thanks in advance,
    Carlos Gavina

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

If at all possible, you want to get a monitor with a PVA or IPS panel. You have selected a lower quality TN panel monitor. Usually the way to tell this from specs is viewing angle - you want a viewing angle of 178°/178°, which suggests the higher quality panels. If you want it to cost less than $500, I therefore suggest the Dell Ultrasharp 2408, which is a decent quality PVA panel at a fairly low cost.

The reason TN panels are bad is low viewing angle - you will see color shift from one side of the monitor to the other - and lower color fidelity; most TN panels are 6-bit, and must dither to achieve the millions of colors you want to work with.

Any work where color is important - in other words, most of the things you listed - is best done on a PVA, or better still, IPS panel.

Hope that helps.

3. carlosgavina thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, i've read a lot about this by now, and I begin to understand the differences ;)

I've seen some great reviews about the DELL ultrasharp 2408wfp, but also some horrid reviews about it's color performance with sRGB color profiles (which i will use a lot)

Doing some research i founded the HP LP2475w, which is a h-IPS panel and costs almost 500 euros, although its a bit huge and heavy and not that aesthetically pretty, the performance with colors birghtness and blacks seem nice.

But I'm still a bit lost as, I can't afford now the display plus a color hardware calibration tool :confused:

Thanks in advance!
    Carlos Gavina

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

The HP is better, though a bit more expensive, which is why I didn't suggest it - as far as I'm aware, most cost at least $500.

I should point out that most of those reviews are done on PCs, which really struggle with wide gamut monitors - they complain everything looks oversaturated. These customers tend to see wide gamut as a negative. We don't really have that problem on Macs - at the very least, I've yet to see a Mac user complain about wide gamut. Your monitor can display a wider gamut than sRGB and still reproduce all of sRGB for use in your work. I myself use a Doublesight DS-263N, which is wide gamut but has no issues with sRGB work. Though admittedly, I shoot and edit in Adobe RGB, because my screen and camera both work well with it.

Calibration is important. But you can also buy a calibrator used, on eBay or elsewhere, or even borrow somebody's tool for a while.

5. highertechnology macrumors 6502

6. illibball087 macrumors regular

dell ultrasharp 2209wa is a must stay away from TN crap

7. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol