Best display monitor for around $1000 =?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by qveda, Jan 28, 2012.

1. qveda macrumors regular

I'm considering 24 - 27" display upgrade for my Mac Pro (c. 2008, not thunderbolt).

Apologies in advance if there have been recent posts on this topic that I didn't find via search.

Apple Cinema 27" is a contender (I think I can handle the glossy screen OK).
    What are other ones to consider in this price range ?

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Have you considered the Dell u2711? a nice 27" ips panel monitor,
    Ive used one on a mac pro for a few month's and love it, using a spyder pro to calibrate it :) nice alternative to apples monitors.

3. realitystops, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

realitystops macrumors regular

realitystops

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The difference between a 24 and 27" monitor goes beyond physical size. A 27" may have about 15% higher resolution which means smaller fonts. Depending on how old you are and how well your eyes focus closely the higher resolution may give you eye strain. I owned a 27" iMac and my eyes killed me. I sold it for a now discontinued high end 26" NEC monitor which is much easier on my eyes. Pixel density if about 86 ppi (pixels/inch), while a 24" monitor (16:10 ratio or 1920 x 1200 pixels) is about 94 ppi, and a 27" is 110 ppi. Also keep in mind that the larger the monitor the further away it might be pushed back making the apparent size of fonts... smaller. My 15" MBP has the same pixel density as a 27" but it is pushed closer so it appears larger.

So take all this into consideration as well as it there are any lamps or windows behind you. If so then expect plenty of glare - which is why I highly prefer mat screen for serious work. So if possible try before you buy and remember that stores turn up the brightness to drown out glare.

5. pna macrumors 6502

I'd agree on this one. I find the 30" to be a really sweet spot in terms of size / dot pitch / screen real estate. Any bigger and it really would be too big. Personally, I greatly appreciate the extra vertical space vs. the 27" aspect ratio, and the non-glossy finish is greatly preferable to me for general use and for my particular use (photography).

Whether the extra vertical pixels and size is worth an extra $400 over the already spendy u2711 is a question that only you can answer. I value that real estate a lot, but $1300 was more than I could really justify spending on a monitor, so I kept an eye out for coupons and on the dell monitor outlet. There were often coupons that were available to get the u3011 down to about $1050, but I ended up getting one a refurbished one for about $850 or $900. They show up there every so often, and mine's been totally like new.

6. WRP macrumors 6502a

7. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

I like the idea of a single large display, since with two, (calibrated to match via Color Munki Display) they still look different from each other, and I'm never sure which might be a more true representation of color and tonal information.

Extending windows across 2 displays is sometimes distracting. and seems like a wacom tablet or trackpad gestures might be more intuitive on a single display. of course 2 displays gives more width, I feel I could appreciate more verticle space.

regarding the Dell, some reviews say U3011 is not the best for dark greyscale tones. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382757,00.asp

some say there is 'sparkle' due to the anti-glare screen texture. (Dell)

what do you think?

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

The 27-inch NEC MultiSync PA271W or if you can find a Lacie 324i around $1100 minus rebates/coupons. There was an article/review in shutterbug magazine this past month on the Lacie. Had I not purchased a new iMac this fall I would have gone with either as one artist uses the previous version of the NEC and relies on near perfect colors for his designs be it photos, illustrations or what gets sent to a toy manufacture of his designs.

I have used the NEC in art school and thought they were great, seemed to have the exact same panels as the Lacie (at the time) and were a bargin cost wise. I would look into making sure for any display at those prices that the stand will allow portrait mode and have some nice input features, as mentioned in this thread.

Good luck and enjoy!

9. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

thanks to everyone for the recommedations. I'm sure any of these great displays would be excellent for photography

• apple cinema
    • NEC PA271W
    • Dell U2711 or U2411 or U 3011
    • HP dream color 27
    • Lacie

What about LED vs CCFL backlighting?

for Photography, any downside of LED backlighting? or is it just personal preference.

10. VI™ macrumors 6502a

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176177

I have the older version and purchased it because of reviews of how accurate it was after calibration. Plus, 30" is very nice for editing photos. I absolutely love my previous gen hp 30"

11. shaunymac macrumors 6502

I have the dell u2711 as well...It took me awhile to get past its looks. Yes, I may be shallow like that. I'm used to my cinema display but I got tired of the wonky power brick or something going out on it. Needless to say, apple would no long work on it.

With that said, I didn't want the new glass offerings and I lost out on an eizo so I succumb to the dell. I really like it. The real estate of it is really nice. The connections could be nice? I don't ever see myself hooking up a ps3.

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

The first three pages offer a ton of info on that under the Lacie review but in the others as well.

http://www.shutterbug.com/category/software-computers