Best External Monitor for 15 inch MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TeddyLeroux, Apr 18, 2010.

1. TeddyLeroux macrumors member

Im putting a setup together for my room and i was wondering which external display would be the best... here is what i am looking for: 22-24 inch screen, between $180-$210 ... I found this one... looks pretty good and is a good price... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...itor/9769352.p?id=1218170032082&skuId=9769352... or the 23/24 inch Dell ones are good too... any suggestions??? Also should i just use the MDP--> VGA or should i go with HDMI????:apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

You should definitely go with a 24" model. The higher resolution is definitely worth it. Also, don't use VGA. It's analog and the signal won't be as clear as with a digital connection. If you can't find one that uses DisplayPort, go with one that uses DVI, and get a Mini displayport to DVI adapter. There's no reason to use HDMI for an external monitor, as it's basically a DVI cable with audio as well.

3. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

ok..... the 24 inch and 22 inch Dell monitors are both 1080p resolution... im just using the monitor for home use ... i will be getting a wired apple keyboard and a magic mouse and then connect my laptop to an external display so i dont have to waste money on an iMac... Do you suggest any particular model/brand over another??? :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

4. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

I've heard that Dell monitors have some of the best value. You're not going to get Apple quality, but you also won't be paying nearly as much.

I'm not sure which models are best, but I think you'd be happy with any of them. I would go with the 24'' if it's not much more money, just because it will have larger, more comfortable text. However, $180 is a great price for a 22'' screen.

5. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

ya... ill prolly get a dell because they are in stock at my local best buy all the time and because they are mac compatible... unlike samsung:mad:... the 24 inch model is $250... which isnt too shabby either:apple::apple::apple::apple:

6. dcurtis macrumors newbie

If you're thinking about going with Dell I think it's worth getting an UltraSharp. A couple years ago I went with a lower-end Dell and it's OK but it's not the best I've seen. The HPs I've seen have more brilliant colors but everyone raved about this Dell 22" (not-UltraSharp). And to be honest I didn't have the means to get it at the time, but I know the UltraSharp look much better.

Also, the Dell monitors are mostly anti-glare (correct me if I'm wrong) so that dulls the color out a bit. If you don't have to worry about glare I think glossy looks better in general but that's my opinion.

7. Smoothie97 macrumors member

I would personally save up the $599 and get a refurb 24" Cinema Display. It will integrate with your MBP flawlessly and cleanly. Just add a wireless keyboard and mouse, and you essentially have a 24" iMac.

8. pyroza macrumors regular

umm, every display works with every type of computer. "Mac compatible" is just a marketing term

9. ttran88 macrumors regular

Apple Cinema Display looks amazing so I would recommend that. Try finding one used as that would be alot cheaper :apple:

10. pyroza macrumors regular

I don't get why you would recommend the ACD. It's overpriced and even used you could buy an equal Dell IPS monitor (U2410 for $499) for not much more. The OP clearly intends for it to be used for casual usage, so a ~$200 Dell, Samsung, or Asus is perfect.

11. ttran88 macrumors regular

Well if money is not the issue go for ACD, if it is and you just want a big good screen then any screen would work..

12. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

What makes the acd better than other displays?

13. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    You can do the U2410 for even lower if you're comfortable going the ebay route. I bought from a seller yesterday selling for $449 + $19.99 shipping. I e-mailed them yesterday asking about warranty details and they said they would send me full order numbers which is what you need to utilize the 3 year warranty. Put bing cashback on top of that (8%) and hopefully (if it goes through, this is my first time doing this) MrRebates.com (3%) you're below $450.

I will be using this with my recently bought refurbished 2.53ghz Mac Mini. I still need a mouse and keyboard though

14. TeddyLeroux thread starter macrumors member

ya i tell ya... the cinema display is nice... (isight cam, magsafe charging, usb)... maybe there is a reason it costs so much... i do stuff on youtube and ustream so an extra cam would be awesome... this would be perfect but it is just really expensive... but i think it might be worth saving up for:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

15. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Apple displays are of mediocre quality (at best) for a premium price. I almost exclusively use Samsung displays. Top notch quality at reasonable prices.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Dell U2410; add 3 years of advanced exchange and you're in good hands.

17. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Does your 15 MBP have anti-glare display? If yes, getting 24" ACD would give you best of both worlds. :) Also would get mag connector etc., like you mentioned above.

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

any specific models you recommend? I too am thinking of getting an external monitor for my 17"

19. Arie macrumors member

I use a Samsung SyncMaster 2443 to connect my laptop to at home. It is a 24" display with a small border. It has a VGA and a DVI connector. It does not use regular buttons to turn the monitor on and to adjust settings, but instead it uses a kind of touch sensitive areas which looks better. If 24" would be too big, they also have it in 22"; the Samsung SyncMaster 2243. I would prefer to own an Apple Cinema Display, but the price is too high.

20. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I second the 24" LED ACD. It is the perfect display for a Mac. It has a built in charger for the Mac notebook, web cam, IPS LED backlit display, and a four port USB hub. It is like a docking station for your MBP. You can leave all peripherals plugged into the ACD and even leave your Mac's power charger in your bag.

I have actually purchased four of them. The three that I bought refurbished from the Apple.com site were in perfect condition and a $300 discount! I would do that again and again. There are rumors of a 27" LED ACD at WWDC or when the Mac Pros get updates. If that happens, I will upgrade all of mine. The ACDs are 10X the quality and design of any other displays I have seen. The LED backlighting and the docking station like features make it a no brainer and worth every penny over a Dell.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

21. Pavia macrumors regular

I have a 23" LCD 1080p LG (W2361)
    With a 2 ms response time, quite satisfied with it, doing the jump to Mac next week, going with a 15-inch and Mini DisplayPort to HDMI :)
    Paid 260$ for it, however I live in Denmark, and it's not as cheap as USA :)

22. riotgear macrumors member

I use to buy Apple displays exclusively, but my previous employer only stocked my team with the high end Dells, which apparently were cheaper than their Apple counterparts. I now only use Dell monitors. I have a 27" Dell monitor that is flawless and great for movies and games. My current employer has given me 2 30" ACDs and aside from the design of the display and physical size, I can't tell a difference from my Dell.

23. amoergosum macrumors 6502

24. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Completely agree. I also purchased my ACD refurbished, and it arrived pristine. It is simply the best match for an MBP.