Best External Monitor for Graphic Design Student

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PierrPB, Jan 8, 2012.

1. PierrPB macrumors newbie

Hey I was wondering if anyone had input on some good external monitors for a Graphic Design student. I can't afford an Apple Thunderbolt Display but if you know of any good 23-24" monitors please let me know. I was looking at some LG ones on the Best Buy website, any good?

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I recommend any LG Flatrons if that was what you were thinking about getting.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Graphic design? I'd look for an IPS display with LED backlighting. Unfortunately for your these do not come cheap.

4. de.user macrumors newbie

de.user

5. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

CCFL backlights give better color range and accuracy than common edge-lit wLED, so that would be preferable for graphic design work methinks. Dell has some wide-gamut CCFL-lit monitors in their Ultrasharp range.

Dell should also be much cheaper than NEC, and Eizo in particular. Those monitors can be crazy expensive (typically costing even more than the Apple TBD.)

6. Don2108 macrumors newbie

Not a graphics student, but.....

So the best value for you money is this Viewsonic LED LCD monitor IMHO. Check out the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LXK8LI

I think it would work well for graphic design, but I'm not sure if you have need of some features I'm not aware of.

7. stevelam, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

stevelam macrumors 65816

You got to be kidding me. You clearly don't know anything about graphic design or monitors in general. Please don't suggest some cheap ass TFT panel. I'm sure you meant well but jesus....

For an affordable decent (e-)ips panel 24" monitor, check out the asus pa248q. At about $320 its a good price for a relatively good monitor for graphic design.

8. blanka macrumors 68000

The Dell's U2410 (NOT THE 2412!!!) and the U2711 are great, but only if you use them in AdobeRGB setting. This can be a little uncomfortable for most work as everything in the GUI is really saturated. Browsing for example will look really weird, so if you do web-design go for a screen with decent sRGB support.
    The sRGB settings on these Dells are mediocre as they lack a 3D lut.
    If you want great sRGB try to find a standard gamut CCFL monitor. Eizo still makes a few (look at the SX or Foris series for models that don't mention wide gamut). Or go for the great second hands. The HP LP2065 is still a great one for little money on second hand sites (even many unused are still sold). It has a very nice close to perfect sRGB 1600x1200 IPS panel.

Go prad.de for the best monitor reviews. They give sRGB and AdobeRGB coverage of all models, and even some white-LED ones do pretty good on sRGB.