Best external monitor option for the latest MBP 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karatekidk, Dec 29, 2011.

1. karatekidk macrumors regular

Hi there. My friend is getting a 13" MBP soon and asked me about external monitor. I am one of the people who just can't justify $1000 for an ACD. At home I have a mini (late 2009) connected to a Dell 2209WA and am really happy with the setup.

Anyway, when my friend asked me for a suggestion, I immediately told him to get a Dell - either 2412m or 2312hm. Well, then I started searching for posts on here and seems like some issues with the current MBP & non-Apple displays.

So, the question is, what are the good non-Apple monitors you would suggest? Also, would you share how you connect your MBP to the monitor you have?

Thank you very much for your time!

2. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Miles. Would you tell me exactly what model?

Any other suggestions, anyone?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any time I want a new monitor I go on Newegg, use the sorting options to limit the display to the sizes I want, then look at the reviews. 100+ reviews and an average of over 4/5 stars means it's a good buy.

For example, right now there's a deal on an Asus VH242 23.6" display:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=19&name=Monitors

1700+ reviews and an average of almost 5/5 stars. It's a steal for $180 ($160 with rebate).

4. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Miles, I like your strategy. What is your setup? I would like to know if the monitor works well with Lion.

Again, any other suggestions would be appreciated!

5. Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Dell

I recommend Dell U2412M, using it in clamshell mode, perfect display!

MBA 13" on Lion, bluetooth keyboard and touchpad, linked it via mini-dp to dp-cable, no problems with clamshell or sleep

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I didn't want to spend $1K either, but all the non-apple monitors are a confusing jumble of 'feeds and speeds' and are geared more towards PCs than Macs. In the end, I bought the 27" ADC which acts as a USB hub, has a macbook power cord, and speakers. The screen is amazing.

I had a Dell 2405 for several years and it was great, but couldn't find anything that was a clear hands down winner over ADC.

7. JakeK macrumors newbie

I use a three year old Dell 27". I use a mini display port to hdmi cable to connect it with my MBP and it works flawlessly.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I find that argument rather bizarre. You just check whether the monitor supports DVI-D (which every monitor except the very cheapest does), get the resolution that you want, check out a view reviews, and what do you mean by "geared towards PCs"? You plug it into your MacBook, or into your iMac, or your Mac Pro, and it works, and what else do you want?

9. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

It's a bit cumbersome to research about non-Apple monitors that really works, but I still do it just because I can't spend $1000 for ACD. Also I don't need a 27" monitor, and there are really good 22"~24" monitors less than 1/2 the price of ACD. It's a no-brainer for ME.

----------

Thanks! That's the one I am looking to recommend to my friend. I've been using Dell 2209WA and have no complaints.