Best external monitor to mimic MacBook Pro monitor look and feel?(non Cinema display)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BODKAx3BEPb, May 7, 2010.

1. BODKAx3BEPb macrumors newbie

I am a recent PC-to-Mac convert, and my old set-up consisted of an HP laptop hooked up to an Acer AL2216Wbd 22" LCD. I sold the laptop, but kept the monitor. I also bought a late 2009 unibody aluminum 17" MacBook Pro. I quickly fell in love and got used to the clarity and especially the GLOSS of the MacBook pro monitor. After hooking it up to the Acer, I was extremely disappointed, to the point where the Acer just stands around now as I would much rather stare at the 17" Mac screen over the 22" Acer.

Currently, I am in the market for a dual-monitor setup, with each monitor (22"~24") "mimicking" AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE the look and feel (color, depth, GLOSS, brightness) of the MacBook Pro. I want to be able to switch from the MacBook Pro screen to the external monitor seamlessly, without noticing a difference (except for size). Unfortunately, my budget is forcing me to shy away from the Apple Cinema Displays as I am looking to spend no more than $400 for EACH monitor. Any manufacturer & model #'s are highly appreciated.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I have a Eizo 22 inch screen, which I actually prefer over my new MacBook Pro. Then again I'm a matte fan, and also I kinda feel that my MBP is always a hint too blue, and I've tried calibrating it several times, and it ends up blue each time :D

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

4. BODKAx3BEPb thread starter macrumors newbie

5. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I had a similar HP and while the screen quality is quite good, the unit was very wobbly because of the plastic base.

6. mbpjohnson macrumors member

I was in a Micro Center today and they had some nice looking samsung displays...I didn't get the model but I think they were around 24 inch and had a glass front over the screen. I think they were around 400.

Phil

7. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

the new led from lg and samsung are out
    but just gooo with samsung its the best
    lg are not good or reliable

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The best monitors use IPS LCD panels. The Apple Cinema Displays, HP LP and ZR series, and Dell Ultrasharps are good examples of IPS monitors. Usually these monitors also include a height adjustable stand, multiple inputs, built in USB/SD hub, etc...
    Other companies produce IPS monitors but there prices usually start at Cinema Display prices.
    NEC and Eizo are two such companies.

Personally I would suggest the HP LP or SR series from the HP small business site or the Dell UltraSharps unless you are professional graphics designer (Then by all means look at Eizo or NEC). These are quite a bit less than the Cinema Displays and offer the same functionality.

Finally LED backlights are great, but they are in no way a substitution for a good LCD panel.

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

If you don't want to spend the money for an ACD but you want one that looks like an ACD, there's a nice one that's made of aluminum and looks similar. However, it's not IPS, but then it's nearly impossible to find IPS for under $400. This one is $399, it's like the $899 24" LED ACD. They even sell an adaptor to use two of these or two LED ACDs with your Mac notebook at the displays' full native resolution.

http://www.cinemaview.com/product/cinemaview-24-display

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It's not even VPA/S-VPA, 2 ms (GTG) does indeed confirm it's a TN.
    If you don't do any serious graphics or other color dependent productions, then go for it, because unless your the guy that need a perfect calibrated screen just for the sake of it :D
    $400 is pretty cheap for a display.

11. Raggy macrumors newbie

So is it best to get the Apple monitor then? Its quite expensive

12. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

it's an 8-Bit S-MVA, not TN.

13. circularforward macrumors 6502

LG makes the IPS screens that are in all the top displays, including the ACD. Samsung's PVA is good too, but most prefer IPS.

I would prefer an Eizo too! They are premium displays indeed. =)

14. livaman, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

livaman macrumors newbie

I don't think you can beat Dell monitors for price/performance ration and connectivity.

15. psxguru macrumors 6502a