Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentinet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
Hi,

I am looking for a 23"-ish external screen for my Macbook Pro Retina 13".
I have tried the Asus PB238Q but quite disappointed by the colors, too far away from the perfect screen of the Macbook. Also, it kind of hurts my eyes.

Of course I have tried to set up the contrast, brightness, colors and stuff but it doesn't seem like I can get anywhere... and a screen that needs to go through all that to get correct doesn't seem like a good deal for my Macbook Pro.

So I would like your advice on what screen to get. I don't want to spend more than $250 and I think I need an IPS one, for a the bit of graphic design and photography that I do.

I have found this link but the screens are quite expensive : http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...atives-to-apples-outdated-thunderbolt-display

I have also read the existing threads about external screens for Macbook Pro and ran across the Dell UltraSharp U2415 that seems pretty cool and in my budget. Do you have other suggestions? How can I make sure I won't encounter the same issue that I had previoulsy (even with a $200 screen)?

What do you guys think and suggest?

Thank you very much for your help.
Kind regards,

Last edited:

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Decent screens cost. Usually more than 250 USD. Especially color-correct displays like in the link you mentioned.
The Asus does just 1920x1080. Of course it's crap compared to the rMB's display.
But you can't honestly expect "the best" display for 250 USD, can you?
But whatever the screens cost - the health of your eyes is basically priceless anyway.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I would get the Dell. Their IPS screens are reliably pretty good. If you can get their 27" 4k IPS screen for $500, $250 for a 23" 1080p one sounds about right.

mentinet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
Decent screens cost. Usually more than 250 USD. Especially color-correct displays like in the link you mentioned.
The Asus does just 1920x1080. Of course it's crap compared to the rMB's display.
But you can't honestly expect "the best" display for 250 USD, can you?
But whatever the screens cost - the health of your eyes is basically priceless anyway.

I kinda agree. Actually, I would be ready to give 300 USD for a good screen. I actually bought the Asys for about 220€, and if I can get return it, I want to make sure that the money I add would be worth a much better screen, which can get colors as close as possible from the ones of my Mac and not feel like it is killing my eyes (even though I can still work on it).

What do you think of the Dell UltraSharp U2415? It is around 280€ on Amazon. May I still run into color issues or feelings like it is not rendering properly? I have heard of it a lot on this forum and I'd definitely go for it, hoping I won't get any bad surprise. Maybe I am just not lucky at all and just get very bad configured screens out of the box...

I would get the Dell. Their IPS screens are reliably pretty good. If you can get their 27" 4k IPS screen for $500, $250 for a 23" 1080p one sounds about right.

Thing is I don't think I want a 1080p.. The ratio of 1920x1080 is really wide and I was also surprise about that with the Asus. Not really liking it. The Dell UltraSharp U2415 is 1920x1200, eventhough it is not clearly said on Amazon, it seems to be an IPS, just like the Asus.
Also, 27" would be way too big for me. The size of the Dell seems perfect for me (24" being a tad too big though, maybe a 22" would be sufficient).

Do you guys know what can I look for in the specs, to make sure I don't have issues like with the Asus? Did you experience the Dell UltraSharp U2415 with a Macbook Pro Retina..how does it look like next to it?

Thank you for your replies.
Kinds regards,

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Even better if it's one of Dell's 1920x1200 IPS models. I don't know if we have that exact screen, but I buy monitors for everyone at work, and I buy Dell IPS models if at all possible, and 1920x1200 if they are available at the right price point. It won't be the last word in accuracy, but it should be a very nice monitor.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
PRAD thinks it's OK:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-dell-u2415.html#Einleitung

Though it costs 450€ from Dell's German website.
Amazon.de has it from 270€ and free shipping.

As it's only 1920x1200, you can use Apple's "triple-adaptor" and should be able use the integrated USB3.0 hub.

Amusingly, amazon (.de at least) sells a warranty extension (that is really an insurance that pays for the repair/exchange). That extension has five excellent reviews from people who never had to claim anything from it.
Unbelievable.

mentinet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
PRAD thinks it's OK:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-dell-u2415.html#Einleitung

Though it costs 450€ from Dell's German website.
Amazon.de has it from 270€ and free shipping.

As it's only 1920x1200, you can use Apple's "triple-adaptor" and should be able use the integrated USB3.0 hub.

Amusingly, amazon (.de at least) sells a warranty extension (that is really an insurance that pays for the repair/exchange). That extension has five excellent reviews from people who never had to claim anything from it.
Unbelievable.

Ok thank you :) Weird, such a difference of price. You say PRAD thinks it's OK, does it mean it is "just" OK? Hehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.