Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPLaday

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Hey guys with the leagues finished for another season and the world cup around the corner the good people at Nike have seen fit to whet our appetites with this commercial. Give it a viewing and post your thoughts on it below. My fav bits are Rooney and Ronaldos :D

All thats missing is Messi. To be honest they could have included the whole of the Barca team. Except Ibrahimovic :D

Nike - Write The Future [HD]

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
It is pretty good (could do with more Ronaldinho!). For some reason I find football commercials are often really inspirational. Suits it well.

Who's up for a kick?

AAPLaday

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
The music suits it really well too. When it all slowed down after Ronaldo was fouled i thought he was going to wink at the Ref for some reason ;)

AAPLaday

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Oops looks like Ronaldinho isnt going to this year World Cup!! Still great advert though!! How could you leave him out Dunga! How often do players raise their game just for big occasions like this!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
18 more days

no, I personally prefer the Niki Joga series ... it specifically reminded ALL of US WHY we love the sport, play the sport and the reason - real reason it exists. This came from the idea of Cantona who forgot that reason, was taunted and went ballistic on someone that insulted his mother and was kicked out of the sport.

I love the one on the street ball court where footy skills where a MUST just to get around players; many of you forget just how excellent Trezeguet really is.

2nd vote goes to the new shoes commercial (2yrs ago) with Brazilian star kicking the post a total 12 times in just about the same spot from mid-field!!

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Hey guys with the leagues finished for another season and the world cup around the corner the good people at Nike have seen fit to whet our appetites with this commercial. Give it a viewing and post your thoughts on it below. My fav bits are Rooney and Ronaldos :D

All thats missing is Messi. To be honest they could have included the whole of the Barca team. Except Ibrahimovic :D

Nike - Write The Future [HD]
Personally, whilst well produced, I thought the narrative was really poorly balanced and generally a load of pretentious crap that is not a patch on some of the classic ads (the Nike cage, the devil's team, the little Coca Cola munchkin, etc.) of old times. And was that supposed to be an England v France final? (why else the Rooney-Ribery hero/zero thing? Aside from to scare small children :eek:). Laughable.

The Ronaldinho sequence, aside from the embarrassment of him not even being picked for Brazil (he'll enjoy watching that ad on tv from his sofa at home no doubt), the self-referential YT and FB stuff was a bit cringeworthy.

The only positives were a couple of vaguely comic moments sending up Ronaldo's ego (ironically I think it probably stroked his ego beyond planet-sized proportions) and of course Rooney's future as a ginger-bearded pikey in a caravan (such a fitting scenario for the knuckle-dragger).

And seriously, Drogba yet no Messi? I guess the PC brigade at Nike were out in force. African World Cup, need African star player. :rolleyes:

There, sorry to dampen everyone's enthusiasm.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
I enjoyed this commercical. I especially like the Rooney part where they show him down and out lol. He looks like a lumberjack!

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
You realize that Messi isn't a Nike athlete, right?
Oops my mistake, I forgot Leo was contracted to adidas.

But still, Drogba? What a vile role model. Essien would have been my choice to represent Africa, a world class player and not a disgrace to the game.

Cannavaro also grates as though he was the last player to lift the World Cup, he's very much a has-been, the sequence with him lazily reclining and being serenaded is symbolic of the 3 years he spent at Madrid afterwards.

And having watched it again yesterday, the other two elements that seem unfunny and more than a bit irritating, are the quick cuts to two members of the US team looking to camera, and Spanish trio of Fabregas, Iniesta and Pique throwing their Rooney-lauding newspapers away in disgust.

theITGuy

macrumors 6502a
My favourite, probably because it's the first one I really remembered growing up, had some great skills and the comedy value...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbFmK4zZ9Ys

That is a great footie ad from the past thanks...regarding the new one...I could've done with a lot less 'Dinho...show real players not former stars content with late night parties and lots of donuts or whatever he eats to get fat...

-J.-

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.