Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
You can SSH natively via terminal on macs so you don't need any 3rd party software

On Windows, PuTTY is a popular SSH client
Yea Terminal is just always so confusing to me. I'll need to search some guides on it as that seems the easiest way. I downloaded Forklift but its a 14 day trial.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yea Terminal is just always so confusing to me. I'll need to search some guides on it as that seems the easiest way. I downloaded Forklift but its a 14 day trial.
What are you trying to do?

pretty much doing it all by hand is pretty easy:

Code:
ssh 192.168.1.3

Where 192.168.1.3 is the client you want to connect to. You will be prompted for a username and password if you didn't specify it in the command.

There are a lot of resources on the web for SSH because it is the primary method for administrating routers, switches, and *nix-based servers.

For more help than you can shake a stick at just type "man ssh" in the terminal window and be prepared with your finger on the page down button.

Reactions: bobright

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

What're you trying to do with SSH? It is primarily a command line type tool, if you would call it

I don't think there are any GUI implementations of SSH besides maybe file access

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
SSH In terminal is by far the easiest and cheapest, see here.
Ughh still dont understand it
What're you trying to do with SSH? It is primarily a command line type tool, if you would call it

I don't think there are any GUI implementations of SSH besides maybe file access
I was trying to get in my iPad/iPhone via OpenSSH to look for any of the supposed malware that some jailbreakers could be at risk for. I know I haven't installed anything shady but just wanted to be sure. I managed to get into my device through Terminal but always get lost trying to navigate around and delete stuff.

As long as you install stuff from known "safe" sources then you should be fine, opening up SSH on your iPad introduces a new hole into the security of the device by opening a new port with a default password that everyone has. If I'm not mistaken it's "root" "alpine", which is the typically the first and second words in a password attack dictionary file.

If you are that concerned about the security of your device then you probably need to look at the payloads of the packages that you downloaded, research them and verify their integrity using OpenSSL. (either md5, sha1, or sha256 depending on what you are verifying against). SSHing into your device opens up another port which is commonly used for attack vectors.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
As long as you install stuff from known "safe" sources then you should be fine, opening up SSH on your iPad introduces a new hole into the security of the device by opening a new port with a default password that everyone has. If I'm not mistaken it's "root" "alpine", which is the typically the first and second words in a password attack dictionary file.

If you are that concerned about the security of your device then you probably need to look at the payloads of the packages that you downloaded, research them and verify their integrity using OpenSSL. (either md5, sha1, or sha256 depending on what you are verifying against). SSHing into your device opens up another port which is commonly used for attack vectors.
I should probably stay away from it then, as for the second part of your post I'm lost would have to do some research there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.