Best Games of N64

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Shooting- Hands down goldeneye, never got bored of it

Racing- Mario Kart 64

Adventure- Zelda Ocarina of Time... Some Honourable Mentions-Super Mario 64 Banjo Kazooie

Sports- NHL 99, the best game, with hilarious glitches, the other team raises there hands in triumph when YOU win the stanley cup

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Mario 64 was the best N64 game imo. I thought Wave Race was a lot of fun for the time too.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
thechris69 said:
I never played Zelda majoras mask, any good?
I really enjoyed it - in fact I dug out my N64 a couple of weeks ago just to play it, as it is not available on the GameCube.

The gameplay mechanic of repeating the same 3 days over and over again (a bit like Groundhog Day) is very well implemented, and adds a nice twist to the game. It is a lot darker in feel than Ocarina, with a sense of impending destruction building as the time progresses. I would highly recommend trying to get hold of a second hand copy if you can.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Jet Force Gemini stands out the most. I loved Ocarina of Time but Jet Force just had this brilliant way of playing. In my mind it was Rares final good game. what they did to Starfox and everything after was just unforgivable.

Goldeneye was brilliant too. unlocked everything apart from the Silver Gun (or whatever the Train level gave you).

What I love about the N64 was that you could count the good games on 2 hands. but those games are just phenomenal.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Kernow said:
I really enjoyed it - in fact I dug out my N64 a couple of weeks ago just to play it, as it is not available on the GameCube.

The gameplay mechanic of repeating the same 3 days over and over again (a bit like Groundhog Day) is very well implemented, and adds a nice twist to the game. It is a lot darker in feel than Ocarina, with a sense of impending destruction building as the time progresses. I would highly recommend trying to get hold of a second hand copy if you can.
It is available for the Cube. My girlfriend got it with some limited edition GC about 2 years ago. good disc! Has both NES Zeldas, Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask and a demo of Wind waker. No Master Quest.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
raggedjimmi said:
It is available for the Cube. My girlfriend got it with some limited edition GC about 2 years ago. good disc! Has both NES Zeldas, Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask and a demo of Wind waker. No Master Quest.
Didn't know that! I got the limited edition Wind Waker, which came with Ocarina of Time and Master Quest - I'll have to trawl eBay to see if I can find a copy.

Edit: Found one, in the UK, for a fiver - bargain!

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Kernow said:
Didn't know that! I got the limited edition Wind Waker, which came with Ocarina of Time and Master Quest - I'll have to trawl eBay to see if I can find a copy.

Edit: Found one, in the UK, for a fiver - bargain!
Thats a bargain. Its worth a lot here in the US.

In fact, I still have a copy thats sealed that I threw in a plastic bag to protect the seal and everything. o_O

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
the zelda games were just amazing. majaros mask was not as much fun for me as was ocarina of time but i still enjoyed it. goldeneye will forever go down in the game history books, but my favorite game for n64 has got to be super smash bros. best. game. ever.

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
Wave Race was my favorite game (still play it using NFORCE emulator on my Mac!), followed Turok (the first half of the game, anyway). I never got to play Goldeneye.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
My favs are exactly the same as those of the OP. I also really liked Super Smash Bros and Perfect Dark (though I didn't play this much as I only borrowed it from a friend for a little while)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
One of the greatest games ever made, Super Mario 64 which was not only fun to play but propelled the video game industry from 2D left-right movements to full 3D worlds with running, jumping, swimming, flying, and more. Hands down the greatest N64 game.

Then, there were the Zelda games, and although I never played Ocorina of Time, Majora's Mask was really good.

And shooters like GoldenEye and Perfect Dark (especially the latter, which recieved a 9.9/10 on GameSpot, which may be the highest rated game of all time.)

MarioKart 64, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, all classics.

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
Hard choice, but my most favourite game on the N64

PILOTWINGS 64

Love that game so so much and I'm so bitterly dissapointed the franchise never appeared on the Cube.

Fingers crossed for Revolution :)

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I love Super Mario 64, Ocarina, GoldenEye, and Mario Kart 64.

I just bought a used 64 with Dr. Mario 64 for my girlfriend. She loves that game, and I find it pretty addicting, too.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
oooh! Doom 64! I traded in that for Ocarina :)

I loved F-Zero too. I picked that up for £6.99 on my birthday. Good day :) remember when I first saw the F-Zero GX trailer... was mopping up the drool for weeks :eek: still one of the only racing games I like.

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
I thought Doom 64 was terrible. I was lucky that the old Electronic's Boutique (now EB Games) let me return it the same day. Maybe it's just me, but was it considered at all good by N64 fans in general?

Mario 64 wowed me visually, but I lost interest fairly quickly. I did enjoy watching my friend play it though, so maybe I just wasn't that good with 3D using console controls back then.

Anyone want to sell me a copy of Mario 64 DS cheap?

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
dotdotdot said:
One of the greatest games ever made, Super Mario 64

And shooters like GoldenEye and Perfect Dark (especially the latter, which recieved a 9.9/10 on GameSpot, which may be the highest rated game of all time.)
gamespot gave ocarina of time a perfect 10 out of 10, the only other game to match that was soul calibur for DC

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
kingcrowing said:
Star wars pod racer!!!
Agreed! There were about 10 of us in college who huddled around that game for months and raced again and again and again and again and again........................

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Definitely MarioKart 64...I'd sit around for hours playing battle mode with my roommate...first one to 300 victories wins!

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Blast Corps
Star Fox 64
Zelda Ocarina of Time

There were a lot of really bad games..