best hard drive enclosure for wd scorpio blue 640 gb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yehgermeister, Oct 7, 2009.

1. yehgermeister macrumors newbie

i recently just bought this hd to replace my stock 200 gb 7200 rpm hd (early 08 mbp).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136459

i was wondering if anyone could recommend me a nice hd enclosure because i'm planning to clone my current hd. i know some enclosures have limits to how large a hd could be, and i don't want to have to buy one, find out, and return it and search for another one again.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

"2.5" SATA 3.0Gb" (copied from your website your link adresses)Just search for an enclosure with 2,5" and SATA. Or go to a computershop in your neighbourhood. They must be able to help. You could ask for help and then search for something more cheap on the internet.

(you can use a timemachine back-up, in case you don't know, just make a back-up on a third hard drive with time machine, install the hard drive, place the install disc and pick the option; restore from time machine.)

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE:
    " I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a nice hd enclosure because i'm planning to clone my current hd. i know some enclosures have limits to how large a hd could be, and i don't want to have to buy one, find out, and return it and search for another one again."

I've come to the conclusion that (unless you planning on taking the drive out and around) that the best "external enclosure" is none at all.

Instead, get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb2+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (various designs shown)

Then, you can "swap around" bare SATA drives as required, without having to move them into or out of enclosures.

Also, for the time being, you might just clone your newer [larger capacity] installed drive to the older [recently removed] drive, at least until the old one can't handle the capacity any more. Then just use it as "scratch storage" or something...

- John

4. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

This OWC enclosure is in my opinion one of the best, I run my 750GB Scorpio Blue in it :)

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I used this one for my Seagate 320 GB 2.5" drive which has same thickness (9.5 mm) as the Scorpio Blue you bought. Nice and cheap, worked great--used it to clone original drive in my Mini before replacing.

6. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

I'm using a Rosewill RX-82, bought it directly from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182184

Looks like the drive shares the same OEM manufacturer with those who make G-Tech's enclosures (save for a few design differences). Using it right now. Good size, great design, fits extremely well with my MBP. Gets hot, but it's because it uses the aluminum to dissipate heat. Get it!

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I also bought an OWC Mercury On-The-Go enclosure, but I got this one, with only USB. It's way cheaper. Plus, if you only use it for cloning once and then for backing up every once in a while, the minor plus of the higher speed of FW800 doesn't even begin to outweigh the huge minus of the substantially higher price.

8. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

True, though I also like it not using up a USB port :p