best hard drive to buy to put in an enclosure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sossity, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 65816

I may be getting another internal hard drive to put into an external enclosure to work with my macbook pro,

any suggestions for a good reliable (& it would be nice if it were under $100.00), 1 or more TB 7200rpm hard drive? I will probably get a SATAI/II drive.

Also, are there good free mac apps that can clone or copy the contents of an entire hard drive onto another?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

For an external, I'd recommend one of the "green" type drives, as they run cooler and will likely last longer. If you have a cooled enclosure, then a WD scorpio black would be a good drive. For cloning, check out Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

could you link me to the hard drives you suggested? thanks

I will be using these like a desktop drive, the 3.5" sized ones in 1Terabyte or bigger

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

2TB WD Green

1TB WD Black

As you can see, the green drives are a good bit less expensive than the black, but are a tad slower. However, this makes them better suited to external duty, provided you don't need a lot of speed. If you are using this for a backup, go with the Green for sure. They typically last longer in enclosures as well due to lower heat.

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

will these work in a usb 2.0/firewire 800 3.5" enclosure?

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Good suggestions. You won't notice any difference using the slower Green drives in an external enclosure anyway - they'll still easily Max out a FW800 link, and a USB connection even more so.

Yes

7. Sossity, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

with the green drives in a firewire enclosure versus a usb enclosure, will I feel a difference in the speed of firewire versus usb 2.0?

i found this on amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Intellipower-Desktop-WD10EARS/dp/B002U1N95K/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header although I notice this needs software to work with windows XP, & I do use this os as a virtual machine on my mac, I need a hard drive that can work with older operating systems right out of the box.

& I would put it in this enclosure; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VTZFN4/ref=lst_llp_sl-0

would this work?

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes - the enclosure is fine
    No - you don't need any extra software (just format with Disk Utility)
    Yes - FW800 is 3x faster than USB2

Whether the extra FW800 speed it worth the extra money on a more expensive enclosure is up to you! :)

Firewire 400 IS faster, but not so much of a difference. If this is just being used for backups then USB2 might be OK.