Best iPhone carrier for 1 elderly person?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlawson19, Jul 10, 2013.

1. jlawson19 macrumors newbie

I'm not quite sure if this is the right type of forum for this question, but I figured I would give it a try.

My grandmother wants to get an iPhone and I am trying to help her pick the best carrier. She currently has a prepaid phone, so she really has no ties to any carrier at the moment.

I have done some research and it seems that a lot of the carries automatically include some combination of unlimited text, talk, and data (but the data seems easier to customize). Is it possible to select some of the non-unlimited talk, text and data plans for the iPhone? For example, Sprint offers around 200 minutes instead of 450. Would it be possible to switch that? Also, does anyone still offer about 200 text messages for $5? Alternatively, AT&T offers a no messaging plan. Is iMessage sufficient enough for a grandmother who will probably only text on occasion?

Sorry for all the questions, but it just seems unnecessary to pay $80 for most of the minutes, text, and data to go to waste. Thank you!

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

If she's in an area that TMobile has decent coverage, they have a $30 prepaid plan that might fit the bill. If not, tons of MNVOs out there to try. h2o, net10, simple, etc

3. TheProFTW macrumors regular

First thing to do would be to know the coverage of each carrier in the area where she lives and the area where she would usually go to.

If sprint works good, I would probably go for Virgin Mobile, their $35 plan is dirt cheap and includes 300 minutes and unlimited text & data (they do throttle data after a few gigs, but that's probably not going to be a problem).

They sell the iPhone 4 for about $300

4. iDominic macrumors member

iDominic

Consumer Cellular (Uses AT&T's Network) has a very customizable data, voice, and texting plan. However it is a prepaid carrier so you'd have to buy the phone from the apple store iPhone 4 would be about $450, and then purchase a SIM card from Consumer Cellular.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Straight Talk through Walmart. Doesn't subsidize the phone ($450 for iphone 4, $550 for 4S, or $650 or 5), but plans are $45/mo for unlimited everything. They're GSM or CDMA compatible, so she could find a used iphone and just buy the SIM card.

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

If you all are good with buying an unlocked iPhone, SIMPLE mobile or StraightTalk definitely.

If you guys need to do contract, go with AT&T or T-Mobile.

7. mrbrown macrumors 6502

You know, I went to their website a whole back for one reason or another and they actually had the iPhone available for purchase directly from them.

8. iDominic macrumors member

iDominic

I just looked on their website idk why but I couldn't find it.

9. SR45, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I pay $76.00 on Verizon with fee's, Senior plan (200 minutes talk) and 2 GB of data if interested. I don't text, but use Siri, Camera, Very little email, GPS seldom, and a small amount of facetime.

By the way, many do not like Sprint for there lousy coverage. Some has had good luck with them but many more do not. Think twice before going to Sprint.

Attached Files:

10. TheProFTW macrumors regular

Virgin sounds like the best option, imo.

It's the cheapest and they sell the iPhone dirt cheap.

11. TedM macrumors 6502

I have verizon and my parents have at&t. Not happy really with either.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

Get a used iPhone 4 and put her on the $30 Tmobile prepaid 1500 mins/text plan.